cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of Fiscal Year Change

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

My client's organization aqucired a new company and decided to change the Fiscal year, currently fiscal year (Jan - dec) to calender fiscal year ( Apr - Mar ).  What will be the impact in SAP MM if we chnage the fiscal year ?

Thx

Sastry

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Naturally, everything posted to FI will be impacted in some way and things that have nothing to do with it, like material master for example, won't be impacted. It's a simple logic.

We went through the fiscal calendar change 2 years ago (requirement from the new "masters") and from the technical standpoint the most painful was the job scheduling. We had many jobs running for end of month (including MMPV) and suddenly we were not able to run them always on the first of the month. And then there are jobs that should run N days after end of month. Had to create 2-3 new calendars for that. Not to mention updating the whole bunch of custom reports to use fiscal month, oy vey...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanjks for your reply Jelena, I have one question.. Did you guys take cunsulting services provided by SAP SLO (SAP Landscape Optimization ) consulting services or you have done your own ?

Thanks

Sastry

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We used our regular functional consultants because there was a lot of testing involved. You might need SLO only if you need to move the historic data for the new company into your existing system. It has nothing to do with fiscal calendar change per se - acquisition and calendar change are two different processes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Jelena.

My scenario is we need to change the fiscal year for exsiting company , currently we are not thinking about the acquisition.

What will happen when we change the fiscal year in current organization, I am trying to find out the impacted areas, what precautions  we need to take, what changes we need to do. It will great if you can throw some light on all these so other members also benifited with your experince

Also if you have any document to change the fiscal year, please let me know

Thanks

Sastry

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Fiscal year change with new setting for fiscal year variant, better involve FI/CO team and Finance team  to cross check/change fiscal year variant period and year shift column.

You can refer t.code: OB29 for to check the setting details for your fiscal year variant and plan new setting or create  new fiscal year variant with new periods of extension.

Later assign Fiscal Year Variant  to your Company Code in OBY6 t.code and cross check your
changed fiscal year variant assigned to your company code in t.code: OB37.

Consider this a mini project on legal requirement with business process and you need to have series of testing on posting material and accounting documents.

Regards,

Biju K

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sastry, as Bijay noted it's a financial activity and a mini-project. In MM area I don't think there is any impact other than already noted. I can only suggest to get a qualified FI consultant to help with this. I wasn't involved in those activities personally, so don't have anything more to add.

Good luck and if your question has been answered kindly close the discussion.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sastry,

Please check SAP notes which will give you an idea of  impact .

427920     Analysis program for fiscal year conversion
210861     Changing fiscal year variant in production system
193713     SAPF070: Change of fiscal year variant
672255     Shortened fiscal year/changing fiscal periods

The change of the fiscal year or the change of the fiscal periods has an impact in many modules,FI,  MM, PP, SD, PS, PM etc

Regards

Vivek Patil.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vivek for your reply

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What is your  Fiscal year of your present company and Fiscal year of new acquired company.

You can use special periods with extension Jan, Feb and March {fiscal year (Jan - dec) to calender fiscal year ( Apr - Mar ). }. Refer

Fiscal Year Variants - ERP Financials - SCN Wiki

Regards,

Biju K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Bijay and Rosh..

I already read 672255 note as well as Wiki link.

I would like to know the Impact in MM, if body please

Thanks

Shree

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What comes into my mind is the physical inventory, as the basis is the fiscal year.

A shortened fiscal year comes usually with an acquisition. We have for example 

a legal requirement in Germany (German commercial code §240 HGB) to do a physical inventory when you start a new business, then with each end of a fiscal year and when you shut down your business.

With a shortened fiscal year we would actually have to count twice in a calendar year.

Try to get knowledge about your legal requirements

BijayKumarBarik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

MM transactions posting happens- if the period is open.

As you do new period opening in MMPV - you can go for same strategy on extension of special period for each month (Jan, Feb and March) for allowing MM transaction posting for new acquired company(company code).

Regards,

Biju K

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for yor replyJurgen and Bijay..

I am opening this theard to get some other impacted areas in MM

Thx

Sastry

former_member233510
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Please read the SAP note 672255 which explains the impacts of changing the fiscal year.