Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Does DTW lock files say OITM during update of Item Master?

Hello,

Does DTW lock the entire file sale OITM master data file while updating say default warehouse?

This because, In case if there are over 100K items, the file OITM could stay locked for a long period of time. Locked form Updates I mean.

Or DTW is slow due to validation necessary before each item is updated into OITM table?

It may seem like it has updated the entire OITM table, in reality validation is occurring for each of the OITM record.

Record level lock is okay but not table level lock OITM.

Your especially developer level expertise is appreciated.  Have you ever seen at SQL table level? the locks while DTW is running?

Thank you very much,

Syed

Former Member
Former Member replied

I did a test. Some 1000 records to be updated through DTW. At the same time, I created a new item. The creation of new item was successful. It should DTW does not do ITEM Master level updating.

All this confusion was caused by a SAP partner consultant, who opposed me saying DTW should not be used for updating item master; as it performs file or table level locking and instead should use their program (partner written program).

This is proven wrong and consistent with my belief where in I have been using exclusively DTW for all kinds of updates to item master (for over 6 years now), never noticed any such locks. Most applications especially web based use read only locks anyways, the only catch is, to minimize all DI API validations for over 300K records -  the job is best broken using DTW command level and smaller item.csv input files in a batch mode.

Cheers

Syed

0 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question