cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does DTW lock files say OITM during update of Item Master?

syed_aleem3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

Does DTW lock the entire file sale OITM master data file while updating say default warehouse?

This because, In case if there are over 100K items, the file OITM could stay locked for a long period of time. Locked form Updates I mean.

Or DTW is slow due to validation necessary before each item is updated into OITM table?

It may seem like it has updated the entire OITM table, in reality validation is occurring for each of the OITM record.

Record level lock is okay but not table level lock OITM.

Your especially developer level expertise is appreciated.  Have you ever seen at SQL table level? the locks while DTW is running?

Thank you very much,

Syed

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

frank_wang6
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When u import, try to use ignore error option. This will reduce the table locking.

In general, since you are trying to mass insert records into table, SQL server will be locking the table when each record is inserted.

I would suggest you to split the file into several small imports. And also there is an option to assign item to all warehouse, disable this option will help u a lot.

Frank

syed_aleem3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

Wouldn't sql provide record level locking instead of table level recording?
Say if we develop our own procedure to update the existing records in OITM master?

Thanks.

frank_wang6
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Try to disable create items in All Warehouse option first. This option actually is time consuming since if u have multiple warehouses, system will automatically populate the item into them, which creates a lot of burdens.

You can not create own store procedure to do that. It is against SAP policy.

You may try to use DI to do it, where you can easily control the speed of insertion.

Frank

syed_aleem3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Did I say I am writing stored procedure or doing db directly. Of course not. I am asking if possible to update OITM master record without locking the entire file and just locking the record.

Why doesn't DTW do that? That's my question?

Populating on multiple warehouses may be a preferred options if that item needs to be present in multiple warehouses for picking, shipping, returns or other locations etc. So unchecking to ensure it doesn't populate in other warehouses is not suitable to all.

I have a simple question, why DTW doesn't do record level locking and does it really do Table level locking?  Anyone ?

syed_aleem3
Explorer
0 Kudos

I did a test. Some 1000 records to be updated through DTW. At the same time, I created a new item. The creation of new item was successful. It should DTW does not do ITEM Master level updating.

All this confusion was caused by a SAP partner consultant, who opposed me saying DTW should not be used for updating item master; as it performs file or table level locking and instead should use their program (partner written program).

This is proven wrong and consistent with my belief where in I have been using exclusively DTW for all kinds of updates to item master (for over 6 years now), never noticed any such locks. Most applications especially web based use read only locks anyways, the only catch is, to minimize all DI API validations for over 300K records -  the job is best broken using DTW command level and smaller item.csv input files in a batch mode.

Cheers

Syed

Answers (0)