Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade OS without re-installing SAP

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

dear folks,

is it possible to upgrade de OS of a sap machine without having to reinstall the all sap system. The machine is running windows 2008 R2 and i want to push it to windows 2012 R2 Standard.

Best regards,

Nelson Chamba\

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can saftely upgrade your OS without re installing SAP

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

and my sap will still working without any problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, this is possible. However, you'll have to consider compatibilities especially with regards to your drivers. For a much safer upgrade if you have the resources, you can also perform homogenous system copy using SWPM. This process will require you a separate machine for the target OS.

hasanajsh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Nelson Chamba,

It is really strange what is going on in this thread (and in many other ones in SCN).

You ask a question, you get a one-line dull answer (by the way, wrong and might put you in difficult position) and, after that, you mark it as correct. How did you come to the conclusion that this is the correct answer?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shkelzen,

Pardon for the intervention. It seems that for his issue, he was already planning on upgrading in the first place and was just looking for insights/options with regards to the OS upgrade. I'm sure that he did some research prior to asking questions here in the community.

nelson_chamba2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shkelzen,

I don´t understand you, are trying to say that Mr. Pavan Gunda answer is wrong? it´s impossible to upgrade the OS of a machine running SAP with having to re-install all the ERP?

If yes pleas prove it to me, but please use my private mail because we come here looking for help and is just that what we need.

Miguel also tried to give you a hint, thanks Miguel.

regards,

hasanajsh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nelson Chamba,

Are you talking about in-place upgrade of the OS or not? Did you read the Note 1721575, shared in this thread?

hasanajsh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Miguel,

No problem at all for the intervention.

I think that you should have some reference (or elaborated answer) to conclude that the answer is correct or you could follow the answer and get satisfied from the result (which is not the case). This is my opinion about what a healthy approach would be.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member185327
Active Participant
0 Kudos

That's why there is a term called OS DB Migration :).

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos