cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapgui 7.40: How can I migrate saplogon.ini to new SAPUILandscape.xml file?

kimmo_sirpoma
Participant
0 Kudos

I had deleted my previous installation of sapgui 7.30. The saplogon.ini files remained in ...appdata\Roaming\SAP\Common

I now installed first 7.40 core version along with NWBC and then immediately patched SAPGUI to patch 4.

PROBLEM: When starting the new 7.40 saplogon, there are no logon entries.

many OSS notes (example 2075150 and 2075073) and this blog 'Announcing SAP GUI for Windows 7.40 by Melanie Reinwarth' http://scn.sap.com/community/gui/blog/2014/10/01/new-features-in-sap-gui-740#start=150  say that old saplogon.ini file will be migrated automatically to new landscape files SAPUILandscape.xml and SAPUILandscapeGlobal.xml upon installation of sapgui7.40.

Well, the migration from ini to xml files did not happened for me upon installation.

I then tried these steps:

1) close saplogon and deleted the 2 new landscape files in hope that when I start saplogon again it will perform the migration from ini-file to xml-files. NO help, the files were recreated but without my former saplogon.ini entries.

2) I read OSS note 2075073 where it says that when entering a command parameters /INI_FILE and /LSXML_FILE for saplogon.exe it will then create new xml files by migration the old ini-file. I used this syntax in my Windows 7 shortcut on desktop: "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\saplogon.exe" /INI_FILE=C:\TEMP\saplogon.ini /LSXML_FILE=C:\TEMP\SAPUILandscape.xml. No help. It created new landscape files into C:\TEMP but they not contained the entries in old saplogon.ini and apparently saplogon was empty.

So what are my possibilities to migrate old saplogon.ini into new landscape files after the installation?

EDIT: I already read this blog http://scn.sap.com/thread/3678438 that deals with same issue, but the NWBC trick 'Redo migration by sap gui tool' did not worked. In then tried 'Redo migration by NWBW', which in fact did some migration to XLM file, but the file is not working in SAPLOGON (displays only two entries) and in NWBW although it will show the rest of folder entries, the system connections are not visible. Anyway, SAPLOGON is the one I use, not NWBC.

The migration utility would be helpful in companies where you get a fresh laptop and you need to install sapgui yourself and want to use your old saplogon.ini or get saplogon.ini from your colleague.

BTW: how can migrate my old SapLogonTree.xml as well, all my customer groupings are now lost.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have just experienced the same issue and was able to resolve it using the guidance on this thread.

In my case the problem was that my SapLogonTree.xml file was sitting under a different folder to where the GUI installation file was looking, and so it was not able to regenerate the entries.

My original SapLogonTree.xml file was here:

• C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Common

But the SAP GUI Installer was apparently looking here:

• C:\Users\<windows user>\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Common

Solution

1. I deleted the SAPUILandscape.xml and SAPUILandscapeGlobal.xml files,
  2. copied the SapLogonTree.xml file to the C:\Users\<windows user>\AppData\Roaming\SAP\Common location and then
  3. reran SAP Logon Pad ... and all my connections came alive!

I still had issues with connectivity to systems that had a router string, but I applied note 2077230 and it worked. Note you have to change the router string in the <Routers>…</Routers> tag (for me this was at the end of the file) – I deleted the trailing /H/

Hope this helps others who pass this way.

Regards,

Andrew

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

kaus19d
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You may also follow,

Thanks,

Kaushik

former_member249929
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

After I installed GUI 740 in my laptop (wind 10 os), i went to migrate the saplogon.ini files from other system to my laptop.

but there is no saplogon.ini files shown in the default folder,

so how could i replace the configuration file. there is only one .xml file is showing, that which i created manually on the pad.

is there anyway to get my old configurations back by replacing.

i hope u guys will find a solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kimmo,

I have SAPGUI 740 Patch 4 Hotfix 1 and NWBC5.0 Patch 7.

In the folder %appdata%\SAP\Common you must have two files:

saplogon.ini and SapLogonTree.xml. When you start saplogon.exe the SAPUILandscape.xml will

be created.  If you want to create the SAPUILandscape.xml into an other folder use the

parameter  /LSXML_FILE=<Path>\SAPUILandscape.xml . I hope that helps.

PS: The file SAPUILandscapeGlobal.xml also will be created and depends of the content from the file "services".

Message was edited by: Günther Heinrich

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kimmo

I can't help but we are sharing the same experience ...

I nearly learned the same lessons, read the same notes, sapgui landscape config guide, sap setup guide. I'm lookin' on 1000s managed clients and 1000s unmanaged clients and don't want things happen 'black boxed automatically on the first run'.

What if automatically fails - we are ending up with workers who can't work.

And it will raise an incident storm on Monday morning or Friday afternoon...

Going back to 7.30 is time consuming, expensive, ...

Fallback / running 7.40 plus 'pre-7.40-saplogon.ini mode' is not possible by design.

I want to understand and control the migration process!

... and if necessary redo

... and to proof it in advance if necessary with every single user (automatically)

So what is really triggering the process of automatic migration?

(1)       as mentioned above ... doesn't work for me

(2)       as mentioned above doesn't work for me

- Did I miss something to read? ... what?

- Dear SAP can you please explain how 'automatically' really works!

- And how can I redo / correcting things if something was going wrong?

- What are the log entries tellling?

- What's about the registry - any settings to trigger / redo a migration?

For me too many unanswered questions.

Running 7.30 forever ... will not help ... time will come ... has come

Claus-Dieter

fredrik_borlie
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello.

I tested to put the message server on a webhost and added it as a remote config file.

Surprisingly, when adding new systems the message server will be a dropdown, and when selecting a system it populates the other fields.

It could be a different way to "distribute" selected systems.

Especially when you have many systems and not all users are in every system this could be helpful. Yet the end user needs to select which system to add.

At my company we have defined a database and created a sap logon generator tool that the users run to populate the entries into SAP logon.

But ultimately we are striving towards having one system logon and remotely assigned roles so the users do not have to consider which system to connect to.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

We are planning and implementing SAPGUIs and are supporting (3rd level).

Operating is mostly done in heterogeneous environments around the world.

So we must be very sure about migration and support processes.

Although not recommended by SAP we did something similar.

I wrote a 7.30-saplogon.ini editor years ago which allows automatically to get in contact to all sap-backends using "sapgui.exe plus parameters" for quality assurance.

Others are operating SAPGUI on an individual database driven saplogon.ini.

All gone with 7.40 ...

fredrik_borlie
Contributor
0 Kudos

Similar setup here as well. We have roughly 250 systems to manage on 50+ solutions. Then it is hard to have ONE central saplogon config to support all users.

So we decided to skip SAPs somewhat inadequate migration tool and created our own where we could read the saplogon.ini file and generate the proposed systems for the end user and save it in the new XML format.

We have also an option where we can generate workspaces for the workspace view where we can group the systems together in manageable groups.

Love the 7.40 and especially the NWBC 5.0.

Finally we have a UI for the future.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Going ahead ... after setupall.exe and sapguisetup.exe from installation server

Having a look at SapGUINWBCShared.xml is giving the answer.

Function GetLandscapeKey()

strRegValue = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP\SAPLogon\Landscapeformatenabled

After sapguisetup        the keyvalue is '0'

After setupall              the keyvalue is '1'

running sapguisetup and setting ... \Landscapeformatenabled=1 triggers the migration from *.ini to 'landscape', that's the secret behind 'automatically'

and the nice effect ... (re) setting ...\Landscapeformatenabled=0 puts the old *.ini in place again.

I haven't checked for side effects and this for sure is not the SAP recommended way

Will it be possible to have NWBC and SAPGUI installed with running NWBC on landscape.xml and SAPGUI on saplogon.ini?

Yes it seems to work  -  but only news from the lab  -  no guarantees

... just (re)set ... ...\landscapeformatenabled=0

---------------------

After crosschecking  the information found so far on some real life systems ...

I'm in a way disappointed ...

No 100% solution

some installations dont' care about the  ...\landscapeformatenbled="0/1" setting, migration is taking place ending in an empty landscape.xml file ...

Message was edited by: Claus-Dieter Henning