cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CDS v/s HDB

0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have been looking for some documentation from SAP where it mentions to use CDS approach rather than creating a tables using HDB approach.

I have gone through some of the SCN posts and few other blogs which mentions that SAP would not provide any extensions or support to HDB syntax in future. But can I find any SAP provided documentation for the same.

Also, as is there any way to add table-columns descriptions/comments while creating a CDS entity. As we would want to use labels/descriptions/comments for our reporting.

Regards

Vishwatej

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lucas_oliveira
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vishwatej,

For the first question: which posts have you looked into? Can you share those so we can try understading what you're trying to achieve?

For the second question: the answer was already provided in SCN :

http://scn.sap.com/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&q=cds+column+comment&Submit=Search

Please search before asking questions

BRs,

Lucas de Oliveira

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

For both the questions I am looking for concrete SAP documentation which tells HDB concept would not be used no more.

Regards

Vishwatej

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

> I am looking for concrete SAP documentation which tells HDB concept would not be used no more.

You won't find investment messaging in the documentation. That's not what it is for. Documentation is responsible for describing currently supported functionality. It doesn't make future facing statements.

HDBTable hasn't received any investment since SPS 06. It remains fully supported so it isn't removed from the documentation. But at the same time it hasn't change in many releases.  All the new features go into HDBDD/CDS. One thing we did do with the documentation was to change the order they appear in.  HDBDD/CDS now appears before HDBTable in the documentation.

It is planned that HDBTable will somewhat go away in the near future.  The current JSON-like syntax won't be used any longer.  We will have an artifact still called HDBtable but the new syntax will be pure DDL. It will basically be a create/drop table statement that you can transport/manage via design time object.

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please let us know if comments/labels/field-descriptions(Which would be used in reporting) is supported now for CDS? As I see according to the post in in SP6 it is not supported.

If not, what is the work around to get the field descriptions.

Thanks

Vishwatej

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

>Could you please let us know if comments/labels/field-descriptions(Which would be used in reporting) is supported now for CDS?

No not yet.  It is in the product backlog and was discuss with development again just the week before last. Its a common request we receive but has never been classified as critical.

>If not, what is the work around to get the field descriptions.

How are you wanting to use the field descriptions?  Depending upon use case there could be a few work arounds.  First would be to put a calculation view on top of the data model. This allows you to maintain column descriptions at the view level.  Second, for the UI we generally store the text descriptions in a separate hdbtextbundle artifact instead of pulling them directly from the data model.  The first option works well if you need the descriptions in the OData service or if you are using external reporting tools (like BOBJ). The second option works well when needing the descriptions in SAPUI5.

0 Kudos

Thank for all the clarifications.

Answers (0)