Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Adobe Reader toolbar by default

former_member191528
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have a requirement which needs us to display Adobe reader toolbar by default.

Currently it shows up as a hover over icon.

Is there anything we can do to display it by default ?

We want to do it programmatically either in web dynpro abap or formcalc.

We need this mode by default

I truly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Kiran

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No. You can not...and should not. This is a user setting and should remain so. Think of it much like your internet browser. You would not want some web page suddenly showing/hiding your toolbars if you had set them differently. This is just bad bad bad from a user friendly design. Notice how many web pages stopped "popping out" or "popping up" new windows when you hit a link? That is why! Do not try to do something the user has not permitted. The Reader is just the framework you document is displayed in...again...think "browser to web page" analogy.

(*there are workarounds to this...special scripting...etc...but again, I would 100% never force this on a user)

former_member191528
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your response. This is a functional requirement where they want to show the toolbar by default.

Can you recommend a way in which this can be done ?

Thanks,

Kiran

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would push back on that requirement. It is complete BS and sounds more like a person's own preferences that they want to push on others (and/or are very lazy....how hard is it to press F8 to show the toolbar?!?!) Show me one solid business reason that says "show the toolbar....even if it means overriding the user's own settings". It is bad.

If you keep going this route....I want hand it to you but just search Google for info....usually in the Adobe tech forums. It has also been asked a LOT here over the years so you are likely to find it in Google searches too.

Oh and just for more fun for you if you try to force this...there are "bugs" in some Read versions that affect this too and will ignore whatever the setting is.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

diego_santos
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

A long time ago I wrote a KBA about the oposite request.

It's a usual requirement to hide the tool bar, due to security reasons.

Here it is:

1798411  How to disable Adobe Reader toolbar

You can use the information to hide as well. The script below should do it.

app.toolbar = true;

Regards,

Diego

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't believe it works anymore. That is one I have seen/used before as well.

former_member191528
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

I tried it but it didn't work.

Thanks,

Kiran