cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I expand my HANA Persistence Data disk/volume?

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a SAP BW on HANA systems, our data disk/volume is almost full, the SAN storage limitation  do not allow to expand the size, is it possible to add another data disk/volume to existing nodes? It is a 3+1  node scale out installation.

Currently system have mnt00001, mnt00002 and mnt00003 , unable to expand these volumes from SAN, we are not using LVM also. I couldn't find any documentation where HANA can support more than one persistence disks/volumes on each node.

We are trying to avoid creating a larger disk/volume and copying existing volume to that,

Let me know if you have came across the same or what will be the ideal solution,

Appreciate your help

Santosh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh

the RAM-to-Disk ratio for SAP HANA systems is fixed and defined during the system setup.

There is no build-in command to grow or add data volumes.

If your instance should "grow" and your server allows for more RAM and CPU usage then you can take a backup of the existing system and restore it into a new system that had been set up with the larger data volume.

Alternatively, since scale-up is not all that often an option, you might use scale-out instead and add not just more disk, but also new nodes.

But the one-persistence-per-node is a core concept of the shared-nothing cluster of SAP HANA.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank You Lars for the clarification, appreciate your quick response.

Yes we are looking to do both i.e. to 'grow' the existing nodes as well as adding some additional nodes.

Regards,

Santosh

Answers (0)