cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDI to Dispatch advice

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

we have to work on a scenario in which we have an edi file and we need to map it to dispatch advice DESADV idoc in ECC system through pi 7.1 system. we already have seeburger adapter installed in our pi system.

the starting lines of the edi file are:

UNA:+.? '

UNB+UNOA:1+184:EDI+018:EDI+150803:1221+15080312310027++++++0'

UNH+A1150803310027+DESADV:D:01B:UN:EAN007'

BGM+351+83381350/3199+9'

so few questions:

1. which protocol should we recommend to source edi team - should we say them to send edi message through AS2 protocol, or should we say them to place the edi file on a file server, which we would pick using file adapter or SFTP adapter and provide the seeburger modules in its module tab?

2. is this 856 edi message or some other edi message? the scenario is of receipt of asn in ecc system related to Purchase Order sent to suppliers via DESADV idoc.

3. how will i get its xsd? should i ask the source edi team to provide its xsd or do we have these xsds available on some seeburger website, from where we can freely download it?

4. regarding the mapping of edi to XML in the seeburger bic module, from where will it get this mapping's name - or - do we need to create this mapping or is it available as a standard feature?

5. regarding the mapping of 856 to DESADV - do we need to create the mapping or is it available as part of standard content of seeburger adapter? if yes, then in which swcv and what is the mapping name?

all helpful replies will be appreciated. thx.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stewart,

Let me try to answer your questions...

1. You can ask them to use AS2. In that case you have the MDN available. This acknowledgement you do not have using SFTP. But SFTP is also an option off course.
  2. It looks like just an EDI DESADV D01B message. Nothing special about it. This can be easily mapped to an IDOC. Make sure your function requirements are clear.
  3. Check the Seeburger Workbench. If I'm not mistaken, you can export your XSD
  4. Generate/create the mapping in the Seeburger workbench, create a SDA file and deploy that on the server. Make sure you modify your communication channel accordingly
  5. See point 4 + in the ESR, you need to create your XML to IDOC mapping. the SWCV is up to you. What you prefer

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dimitri Sannen wrote:

Hi Stewart,

Let me try to answer your questions...

1. You can ask them to use AS2. In that case you have the MDN available. This acknowledgement you do not have using SFTP. But SFTP is also an option off course.
  2. It looks like just an EDI DESADV D01B message. Nothing special about it. This can be easily mapped to an IDOC. Make sure your function requirements are clear.
  3. Check the Seeburger Workbench. If I'm not mistaken, you can export your XSD
  4. Generate/create the mapping in the Seeburger workbench, create a SDA file and deploy that on the server. Make sure you modify your communication channel accordingly
  5. See point 4 + in the ESR, you need to create your XML to IDOC mapping. the SWCV is up to you. What you prefer

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Thx. How did you come to the conclusion that It is an EDI DESADV D01B message? means what are the different versions of a particular EDI message - how can we get this information and how we decide which particular version is that EDI message?

also, is there not standard mappings provided by Seeburger for EDItoXML and XMLtoIDOC scenario for dispatch advice - since these might be common scenarios right?

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the UNH segment. It is all there. Message type, version and subversion.

There are standards, but if I'm not mistaken, you need to deploy them.

Have a look at the installation guide. Something with Mappings_user.sca and Mappings_sys.sca if I remember correctly.

[ UPDATE ]

I don't know if you are aware of the fact that SAP has released the B2B add-on long time ago?

This B2B add-on facilitates in all B2B communication in an easy way and completed integrated.

Please do not hesitate to visit the B2B community for all details and functionalities.

Former Member
0 Kudos

i think B2B add-on is available from PI 7.3.1 onwards. but the client system is on PI 7.1.

but in the esr, i am seeing seeburger swcv available with the external definition A_856_V4010 and  message mapping A_856_V4010_to_I_DELVRY03 available.

now the question is how to know if the above DESADV D01B EDI message is having the above XSD or not? the structure of the XSD when we look into the message mapping graphical tool is completely different (since it would be a XML structure's XSD) from the EDI structure.

moreover how to know if it is ANSI or EDIFACT from the EDI message data? any idea pls. thx.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The B2B add-on is downwards compatible to a SAP PI 7.11, but please keep in mind the limited (monitoring) functionalities in that case.

The Seeburger SWCV in the ESR is shipped content and can be used. If that content covers your requirements, use it. Or copy and modify it.

I assume you have the Seeburger Workbench available. You can test your mapping (EDI to XML) and use e.g. that EDI file as input. The output XML message can be used in SAP PI to test your mapping (XML to IDOC). In that way you can already verify the output without building the complete scenario.

Former Member
0 Kudos

so generally speaking, what is the normal process when dealing with an EDI interface.

means, when we get a sample EDI file from the source system, then in Seeburger Workbench, do we first create the XSD out of the EDI file?

then create a mapping program to do the EDI to XML mapping in Seeburger Workbench?

then create a mapping program in ESR in PI system to do the XML to IDOC mapping?

Former Member
0 Kudos

so generally speaking, what is the normal process when dealing with an EDI interface.

means, when we get a sample EDI file from the source system, then in Seeburger Workbench, do we first create the XSD out of the EDI file?

then create a mapping program to do the EDI to XML mapping in Seeburger Workbench?

then create a mapping program in ESR in PI system to do the XML to IDOC mapping?

Former Member
0 Kudos

moreover how to know if it is ANSI X12 or EDIFACT from the EDI message data? any idea pls. thx.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stewart,

What I did in the past:

1. prepare Seeburger workbench, create SDA file and deploy on the server
  2. prepare ESR
  3. create scenario in the Integration Directory part
  4. test and monitor

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

A EDI DESADV is an Advanced Shipping Notice. A typical EDIFACT message looks like your initial post.

For ANSI X.12, this is type 856. An example can be found here.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi dimitri,

regarding the step - prepare Seeburger workbench, create SDA file and deploy on the server - can u pls explain it in some detail.

we have to do EDI to XML mapping. so basically in Seeburger workbench, (i do not know about Seeburger workbench, so just guessing about it, please correct wherever needed) - we would need to create a project. take the EDI DESADV sample file, then create its XSD ? then create a new project or in the same project, create a mapping for EDI to XML conversion ? then generate its SDA file to be deployed on PI system?

can you pls let me know about any document which details these steps regarding how to work in Seeburger workbench? thx.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stewart,

I guess you already have a scenario working with Seeburger, no?

More information can be found on http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/Seeburger+Workbench

I propose that you start creating a project with all necessary mappings in it. Afterwards, deploy it, modify communication channels accordingly and test.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Former Member
0 Kudos

how will i get the XSD for the EDI file to import as external definition in ESR in PI system? pls suggest. thx.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check the Seeburger content in the SWCV or get it from the Seeburger Workbench

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i checked and opened the seeburger workbench from the url: http://host:port/seeburger.

but there is no option visible showing XSD test option, in which i can give the input edi file and see if the EDI file is as per the XSD.

also no option of testing the mapping EDI to XML? is this some authorization issue or am i looking at the wrong place?

the options available in the seeburger workbench are addressbooks, digital signature, mapping variables, message monitor, message splitter etc.

pls suggest. thx.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Stewart,

I dug into my archives and seems to be that I was wrong. You need to have the Seeburger BIC Mapping Designer tool. Apologies for that mistake.

Using that tool, you can create a project, mappings, test, ...

The Seeburger Workbench I used to define message splitting and for monitoring purposes.

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok. so the next question is how will i get access to Seeburger BIC Mapping Designer tool? do i need to ask basis team to provide the url, from where i can download and then install this software on my local desktop, or is there some location in pi system where this tool is deployed and it can be accessed by some url like Seeburger workbench url?

pls suggest. thx.

Dimitri
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to download it or ask Seeburger.

No need for an URL or deployment. You need to install it on a laptop or regular desktop.

Check https://scn.sap.com/thread/3419124 for more details

Kind regards,

Dimitri

Answers (0)