cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IdM 8.0 Packages and package objects - Good practice guidelines

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Anyone know of any information or guidance on the best way to maintain/structure packages in IdM 8.0?

Should we be doing everything in customer specific packages or are you just as well to create objects in SAP delivered packages?  If you need to update a form should we be modifying the standard form object or creating a customer copy?

I heard rumours that the old functionality whereby you were told of the changes you had made when upgrading to future versions has been removed?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Message was edited by: Patrick Aldridge

PS. It doesn't need to be official SAP guidelines... personal opinion welcome too

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

you should make copies of SAP standard packages when doing changes to them. Deploying a new Service pack will actually overwrite the standard ones, even though they are marked as customer packages. It is mandatory to have a different package (name), otherwise all changes you did manually will be lost after upgrading. The whole process seems to be a bit tedious anyway at the moment. You will have to check for changes between the upgraded i.e. ABAP connector package and the copy you did as of now. Hopefully this will be changed but at the moment I highly recommend to not use SAP standard packages when you made changes. This includes forms etc. they will be lost after upgrading, too. All customer specific workflows/functionality should be done in manually created customer specific packages and not in SAP shipped packages therefore as well.

Regards

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tobias,

I appreciate the time taken to reply.  Your response corroborates my understanding of package and object maintenance within 8.0 at this point.  My impression was that it was best the copy the whole package across and make the necessary changes within the customer package, it just seemed a bit much if only a few objects/configuration items were to be changed.

I'll mark your reply as helpful for the time being to try and keep the dialogue open, but will switch to answered if no-one else has any insight over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again,

Pat

Answers (0)