cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google beats SDN: 1 to 0

RiccardoEscher
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I found a misterious job in our Solution Manager test system: RTM_PERIODIC_JOB which calls the Abap RTM_COLLECT_ALL (created by a very clever SAP consultant).

So I tried to collect some information: nothing!

I tried in help.sap.com: nothing! I tried in the SDN: nothing!

I tried in google and found the following page:

Google seems to be the better search engine for SDN content!

Bye

Riccardo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well although this is already long time ago: Google may even have improved, SDN is SCN facebook you have to get used to.

Regardless of what is better to use: The original question about who or what process scheduled "RTM_PERIODIC_JOB" in my name has never been answered.

This is at least my third project where I discovered this. Still unanswered. not by google. Not by SCN. Not by SAP note.

Best regards, Clemens

nikolayevstigneev
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Clemens!
I believe that it's not so bad

About 15 minutes of searching for SAP notes led me to the note 1885926.

It refers a number of other notes and I think it is a good point to start.

I've just started to read it and it seems that the job collects statistics for SQL monitor.

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nikolay,

my initial question is still unanswered.

Well I found note 2130044 which says that Transactions SRTM, SAAB, and SQLM use Runtime Monitor tests - executed by RTM_PERIODIC_JOB.

Yes I am a frequent user of SAAB, probably always the first user at a client. So that must have been transaction SAAB that scheduled the Job without asking or evebn telling me.

SCN did not help, google did not help.

Regards, Clemens

Former Member
0 Kudos

Google wins hands down. I rarely use the SDN search. It's slow, advanced search is a joke and results are difficult to read. In fact it's a waste of time. I use google or a google custom search such as this http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=002937643127194501316%3Aywozspfsmwu developed my Thomas Ritter. Simple and yet I always get the results I want.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just tried it and it's awesome! Thanks Robert.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes but not for 100% of the content, for 100% you must be logged in and Google don't cut it...

RiccardoEscher
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hy Craig,

I was a little bit disappointed about the search capabilites of SDN (TREX?), I hate loosing time in searching for documentation.

I am wondering why the google hit is of type https.

If I were Google, I would gain a login account for all sites where it is possible and program the spider to use these account data. Does it cut ?

By Riccardo

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Actually that is a service Google sell. You can get them to index any content not automatically found on your site for a price.

Why am I responding to this thread 7 months later? Because I'm also trying to figure out what RTM_COLLECT_ALL does and now thanks to this thread it's

Google 2 : SDN 0

In fact the (current) best way to search SDN forums is by going to google and entering:

site:sdn.sap.com <your key words>

Not sure why but SDN search is flaky at best. If anyone from SDN wants to investigate, here's another: Try searching for SWN_SELSEN which should but doesn't find

Cheers,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually because a login o SDN would not be enough some items not many but some are marked for "customer" or "partner" only.

As for whether Google vs Trex whole thing I leave that to the experts that know the ins and outs better than I

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

it would just be nice if the experts once stepped in and explained the TREX concepts andy why it seems to perform so much worse than Google. I have asked that question on several occasions here on SDN but never ever did an expert show up and join the discussion. Maybe there's good reason for this ironic situation, who knows....

anton

paul_abrahamson_sap
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Does anyone know what RTM_COLLECT_ALL does yet? I've also got a scheduled job against my user name and I don't recall setting this job up.

Regards,

Paul