cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot copy and paste in IDM 8.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, all

I have upgraded from IDM 7.2 to IDM 8.0 and am trying to copy and paste a form from one folder to another. I am not sure if it is a problem in my eclipse interface or the function is not there anymore. Please advise.

By the way, this new process type thing is driving me nuts in IDM 8.0. All the RDS and SAP provisioning web enabled contents were migrated to processes. Now the nasty surprise is that only forms are launchable in the UI. Do you guys run into this issue?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jonathan,

Do you receive any error message when trying to do this or is the paste function greyed out?

Generally copy and paste via shortcuts is not working anymore. But this is not only limited to processes or forms. Basically the only way to copy and paste anything in 8.0 seems to be by right mouse click --> copy and paste.

If you are trying to copy & paste via right mouse click and the specific form is not working for whatever reason, can you try to copy and paste something else from the Folder? Or another Folder?

Concerning the second question: Yes and no. It is correct that all former UI Tasks are transformed into forms. If there is underlying logic this should be indicated on the result handling in the forms. There is an entry called execute process on submit. The process linked there will be called as soon as the form was submitted and can be found in the processes folder. Actually the System should split these things up during a Migration but....

To be honest I have run into several strange things during migrations myself by now, including missing passes, processes, damaged Jobs, supposedly missing linked scripts and processes popping up during copy and paste after a mirgration even though these things do not belong there etc. so maybe this is just another issue (?)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Tobias.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am using right mouse click and select copy, then right again on another folder to paste. I did not see any error, just nothing happens. Both the copy and paste options are not greyed out in mouse right click. I checked the workspace/.metadata/.log* and nothing is there.

Judging by your response, the copy and paste works for you. Maybe I will open a ticket with sap then.

I got an error during the mxmc-update run and am not sure if this is related to my problems. It is failing on the section at the end when it calls "java ... com.sap.idm.schematransport.imp.imXportSchema ....". I have opened a ticket with SAP for 3 weeks and they haven't replied. Did your mxmc-update finish? I ran into quite a few issues with my jobs too. But the other "processes" are migrated ok even though there is no forms ... meaning I have to create them manually which sucks. That is why I am a little annoyed when I cannot copy and paste.

I guess the main thing that I am struggling with is to upgrade to IDM 8.0 or not. I don't see any "real" improvement over version 7.2. The UI remains the same. The main change is the shift to Eclipse which I argue is mostly cosmetic. With the problems , it is not a pleasant cosmetic change compared to the old MMC interface. What is your opinion?

I guess the only good change I saw is the introduction of packaging. That allows objects to be locked while a developer is working on them. However, we are not a big implementation and this is not enough justification of upgrading to 8.0 with its fuss.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

jrondorf
Participant
0 Kudos

Copy paste not working is a known issue.

I strongly recommend installing SP01.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Jannis

Thank you for your feedback. I went through the SP1 highlight and it is not obvious to me the copy and paste issue is resolved in that release. Are you aware of any OSS note on the issue? I was searching last week and came up empty.

Regards

Jonathan.

jrondorf
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

no, I do not have a clear answer to that. I just know a lot has been fixed in SP01, and if something is not listed in the release note of SP01, it does not mean it is not fixed.

Regards, Jannis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Jannis.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

kenny_vandemoortele
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

we encounter the same problem (copy-paste not working) and we are working with IDM8SP02.

Basically our problem:

- connector A > process X > copy the process with the use of the right mouse button

- custom connector B > process Y > paste process X using the right mouse button > result is: nothing happens, not even a message

ps: copying passes from one process to another works like a charm.

Is there any update about a solution, or is there a work around available?

Thanks,

Best regards,

Kenny

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did another eclipse install and got the same thing. Has anyone got the copy and paste working? I am copying and pasting a process. Is it this way by design?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Did you 'check out' the package' before trying to copy an object from it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Patrick

The package is already checked out. Any other idea? The source and destination is in the same package. I can create object from scratch just fine.

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

Nothing that I can think of at the moment.  I too have had problems with using cut + past functions within Eclipse.  Strangely enough my problem has been that 'ctrl + c' doesn't work but 'ctrl + v' often does.

If I think of anything else then I'll let you know.

Best of luck,

Pat