cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Datacenter relocation

former_member206857
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Well as the tittle states, my client wants to dissolve their existing datacenter and move to a new one.

Let me be clear, all new network, new servers, new VM\s, brand new.

So of course server and network guys are coming at me with timelines and effort to migrate my landscape of ERPs,SOLMAN and PI.

I don't know the logistics yet if both centers will be able to communicate..im not sure.

I'm looking for documentation from SAP and oss notes for best practices . Anything, network latency, domain installations, file sharing, ports.

Best case scenario, both datacenters are seamless to me and I could migrate one over at a time.

Worst case, I need to build entire new parallel infrastructure and plan a cut over.

Anyone with advice, documents, links?

Windows/SQL

All my installations are domain installs.

I have PI and of course SLD

SOLMAN has CHARM, ITSM, technical monitoring

I have a good idea in my head of efforts in different scenarios, but please comment any thoughts at all might add to my ideas.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joshua,

There is a lot of activities for basis when the datacenter movement is consider.. And its an headche for basis to do co-ordinate and keep the things cool. I can summrise few things and issue we had during my experience.

• You need to have a good connectivity within two data centres and you need to have atleast 1gbps links between those MPLS connectivity is all good but sometimes the data bandwidth is used by other folks likes of storage replications and networks and server level activities so you may need to consider that while running your SAP set-ups
  • Routing for the servers to server --> this will impact in your connectivity establishment between different landscapes likes of PI ECC BW APO
  • In my case there was no server name changes so i was bit lucky.
  • Need to Seet up HA over new ip address and DNS changes
  • Do get the bas-line transaction execution time which will be helpful after you migrate to new DC
  • Check how the storage replication, network infra and DR setup will be as this things gets changed when you migrate DC

Also if your planning to migrate and if all the servers are not changing DB & OS then for windows servers you can ask for taking a VMWARE snapshot help and get the as is of the all servers. So the activity becomes less pain full only thing you may need to change is the ip-address and DNS mapping to route to correct servers.

Below are the very useful information related to Ports and network considered.

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/ABAP/NIPING

For file-sharing there is a migration possible using SAN/storage replication, i will recommend that to be use which can help you in reducing your  efforts.

Let me know if you need any further inputs on same.

regards,

Ram