cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to learn SAP HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not so good in programming other than SQL. Can I learn SAP HANA as a fresher ? or should I go for SAP BI with HANA ?

What are the pre-requisites to learn SAP HANA ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shantanu,

I was a Java developer for 3 years but my interest was in Databases and then I decided that I had to change it. I took a course in SAP HANA and completed my certification in it. I changed my job as a BI/HANA Consultant and moved to another organisation as a fresher again but it did not hurt as the growth in one and half year was equal to that what I would have had in 5 years in Java as you see once you start to work in something you like you begin to enjoy it and then any extra effort does not hurt.

All I am saying is it depends on interest and once you have interest in something then you can do it any time and stage of your career but once you do the change stick to it and enjoy work!

And also I would advise you to understand SAP BI first then go to HANA because it makes easy Hana a bit.

Regards,

Mahaveer Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks mahaveer, but tell me did you leave your job for SAP HANA ? and which institute did you study the course ? And how long you had to wait to get the job ?

After my MCA i was jobless for 6 months,I do not wish to repeat the history all over again.Even if I quit the job(most of the threads dont prefer that) there is no guarantee that I will get job just after certification.

I had made my mind to do SAP BI course from local institute and after experience opt for SAP HANA. but again if there is not job after SAP BI course I will loose everything I have.

can u tell me any websites by which I can learn SAP BOBI with HANA online ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, first do SAP BI and only after experience move to HANA that is what I did and advise you to do. For HANA the best is study HA100 and HA300 they are enough to start with. And do the BI course in any institute which has good background and for that you need to invest time and find out.

Regarding being jobless, no one is asking you to leave and then study, do it side by side and switch when you get another offer in SAP BI/HANA. Dont skip the step and move to HANA as good understanding of BI is a must.

Also close this thread and send me a direct message.

Regards,

Mahaveer Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to follow or add me as friend first.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shantanu,

If I were you, I would take up the MM/PP/FICO job and learn HANA and SAP BI/BO on the side. Forget training institutes for now if you have financial constraints. There is enough content online and within SCN for you to get started and get certified in HANA. Download the trial version of HANA studio and get hands-on using the tool day and night after work.

When it comes to SAP, you need to understand the functional aspects of a module or even business processes in general for you to be an effective BI guy to build efficient "data models/marts" that makes sense. There are many developers in the market who can code SQL with HANA or non HANA databases in the market along with ABAP experience with little or no knowledge of  some core SAP day to day terms ( for eg billing documents, purchase requisitions, purchase orders, production orders etc). Being in SAP even as a "end user" will give you exposure to the business processes involved within a company. You get to see first hand how SAP makes your company run. After all the "end users"  and SAP analysts in the company are the ones who will be "asking" a BI guy for reports

Adding on BW, HANA and Business Objects skills along with some functional SAP experience will go a long way in boosting your career. Always think functional even if you are technically inclined. The approach takes time but gives you immense satisfaction long run and gone are those days where SAP consultants used to have great billing rates. Have a realistic goal and passion towards the field; you will succeed

Hope this helps

VV

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am starting with ABAP first as I feel that lays the foundation for technical or functional aspect of SAP.Going further I can choose between HANA or any functional module with ABAP. I guess that is a good decision.Isnt it ?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Do you at all know who you are?

In another post in the Software Download space (why did you choose at all this space to ask career questions?) you are telling that you are an MM enduser

And did you already forget that you asked the same question a month ago in the UA Learning Center space?

And back in April you have just studied Masters in Computer Application and wanted to go for HCM:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since april I was gathering information about various modules in SAP.I wanted to go for SAP HCM as it was suppose to be implemented in our organization,but due to some reasons it has been postponed.

I still want to learn SAP HANA,no doubt in that.I have a offer in an organization to work as an end user for SAP MM or leave the job and go for SAP HANA course.

Due to financial constrains it is not possible for me to leave the job,so I want to know whether SAP MM end user can become SAP HANA consultant in the future ?

If no what should I opt for to be a SAP HANA consultant ?

I hope you got it ?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are asking as if there were some natural boundaries or legal limitations to get into a certain profession. Life is what you make it. You need to get a clear target and work towards it, but stop changing your mind every month that doesn't get you anywhere.

And you should inform yourself about your target What is HANA?

Can a MM end user become a SAP HANA consultant, is always similar to ask like can a MM end user learn swimming. I am not sure what kind of answer you expect for such a question.

If it is not possible for you to leave your job due to financial constraints then you have anyway limited chances, then you have to ask your boss or your HR department if you can develop towards this direction.

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP HANA will be implemented in my organization in the year 2017.So what would you advice me on that ? take experience of SAP MM ? or quit the job and look for SAP BI course and job ?

SAP PP,MM,FICO end user experience for 1.5 yrs and then part of  SAP HANA implementation in 2017. Will it be a good idea ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shantanu,

So; to summarize:

1. It seems you currently have some experience as an SAP end user of some kind

2. It seems you have some college education not directly related to SAP software

3. It seems you are toying with the idea of being a consultant for SAP software.  Or something.....

Can I learn SAP HANA as a fresher ?

Yes, of course.  People are doing this every day.  Everyone starts somewhere.

...or should I go for SAP BI with HANA ?

This option is also viable.  Obviously a larger scope.

What are the pre-requisites to learn SAP HANA ?

At least average intelligence and a willingness to learn.  If you look at the SAP course https://training.sap.com/shop/course/ha900-sap-hana-live-classroom-008-in-en/ you will see that they don't really require much prerequisite knowledge; they only require a fat pocketbook.

Due to financial constraints it is not possible for me to leave the job,so I want to know whether SAP MM end user can become SAP HANA consultant in the future ?

Of course.  As mentioned by expert Jürgen, careers are typically open to any candidate who is willing to put the work in to study and learn.  One notable exception is being an heir to a large family fortune.  I have been searching for the course material for that career for the past 40 years, but I have been unsuccessful.

SAP HANA will be implemented in my organization in the year 2017.So what would you advice me on that ?

Wait patiently.  There is very little you can do that will have an influence on the arrival of 2017.

....take experience of SAP MM ? or quit the job....

??? I thought you already excluded the option of quitting.....

and look for SAP BI course and job ?

As I said before, a viable option.  You probably will want to make up your mind before you start your training. .

SAP PP,MM,FICO end user experience for 1.5 yrs and then part of  SAP HANA implementation in 2017. Will it be a good idea ?

If your goal is to become some type of consultant (and I am not entirely sure what your goal really is), user experience alone will not prepare you for a career in consulting.  However, people who are properly motivated can learn 'consulting-type' subject matter, through self teaching; through courses, and through interacting with local subject matter experts.  This ongoing educational process can take place at the same time one is holding down a 'day job' as a user.  Many companies also will financially support career-based education.

Best Regards & Good Luck,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Dogboy 49 : First I had decided to quit my job in 6 months go for SAP BI course from some institute and then SAP HANA in 2 years.

but after going through various posts on the net I changed my mind not to quit the job and get the end user exp. in SAP MM (as that is the only thing available for me as an introduction to SAP World)

I am still passionate about SAP HANA but I am also scared that even after doing the course I may not get job as I will be a fresher. I will loose my money and precious time at the same with no job in hand.

I was also searching for online courses for SAP BOBI with HANA, but did not find any genuine website to do so.Also the question arises if the Online coaching also provides access to server or not ? as it is important to have practical knowledge than just theoretical.

SAP BI (fresher) -----(after 2 yrs exp. in BI )----------->> SAP HANA or

SAP PP,MM,FICO as end user ------------(course for SAP HANA)-------->> part of SAP HANA implementation.

Which of the above should be my career path so that I can get opportunities in SAP HANA ?

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shantanu

When you say "go for SAP HANA" what do you think that actually means. Just wanted to get your point of view and interpretation here.

When you think of SAP HANA what do you actually believe that to be? And then based on your view, what sort of skills or theory/knowledge do you think are required?

Regards

Colleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

go for means "Opt for" or to choose. Skills like sql programming,making the queries run faster using various views in HANA,In memory management,cloud computing etc are acquired in SAP HANA.

SAP HANA has been implemented by companies for faster results etc.

I want to be a part of projects where SAP HANA will be implemented e.g. recently there was a news that SAP HANA will be implemented for WTA. likewise for World Cup 2015 where SAP HANA played a major role in analysis,facts and figures etc.

http://news.sap.com/sap-and-wta-transform-womens-tennis-new-court-coaching-technology-platform/

https://sapsponsorships.com/categories/tennis/

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Shantanu

So you see HANA as more the technical/programming side? Have you considered looking at the application side - i.e. S/4HANA and see what as a functional person you could learn and master?

Yes it is all you say but from a skills and career path you will still need functional people. Right now S/4HANA is coming out but you see a lot of the 7.40 Simplification piece - e.g. Simple Finance, HR Renewal and so on. There are ones that are in the MM space

I only asked what you see as HANA as you mentioned your do not have strength in development skills other than SQL.

Regards

Colleen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tell me one thing, how can I progress as an end user for SAP MM ?

In other words What is the career path for sap end user  ?

Also tell me why some are saying that "Technical people cannot be SAP functional consultant" ?

My manager is a Charted Accountant by profession but he is a SAP and IT manager. If they can handle the technical aspect why cant we ?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I actually have already difficulties to understand the term MM end user, which might amuse you and others if you look at my field and my reputation. But MM is very wide field, it is  purchasing and inventory management, it covers the core logistics master data and even taxation and account determination, has interfaces to almost everything.

I have never worked with a business user who covered the same field that a MM consultant did, and I mean there is no profession called MM end user, not even in Germany where SAP has its headquarter.

What are you really doing every day? What is your profession? Are you working in the purchasing department or in a warehouse?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am currently a tech support engineer and I have a chance to work as end user in a manufacturing company where SAP PP,MM and FICO are implemented.