cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle upgrade query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Team,

We are going to perform oracle 10 g upgrade 10 11g. Here i come accross a scenario were all the oracle binaries are mounted in application servers too. So i have confusion on how oracle db workks for this system.

Note:-

2. This is prod system with DB is installed on separate host , with oracle binary is available in addition application server .

Can anyone explain this scenario.

I need to perform oracle upgrade.

Really appreciate your inputs.

Regards,

Pradeep.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Brindavan_M
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gopinathan,

As per my understanding...

No need to put any oracle binaries files to application, simple logic your oracle database in different host and SAP in different host and Application server in different host. only your upgrade the database 10G to 11G its not required to put any oracle binaries to application servers. If you may have to check the port number and oracle client might give problem that is fixable.

Below link might be helpful for you....

Thanks,

Brindavan

JamesZ
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Can you please ls /oracle/SID/11203 in the application server? SAP application server only needs oracle client, maybe the client is installed under /oracle/SID/11203? Are you sure the /oracle/SID/11203 and its sub directories are completely the same with the database host?

Best regards,
James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tomas ,

Can you give your valuable suggestion on this issue.

tomas.black@sap.com

Thanks for your help.

Thanks,

Pradeep.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Fidel,

Thanks for your reply , my query is in application server i am able to see /oracle/SID/11203 folder.

Normaly this file system should be required on the db host not on the application host.

So in our case how to approach for upgrade.

Thanks,

Pradeep.

0 Kudos

the question would be not if it is there but if it is being used.

for that it would be necessary to know the exact kernel version and environment variables.

the directory you indicate is 11g. any kernel that uses such version would use the instant client and that is not located there

0 Kudos

Hello,

I think I do not understand properly.

On SAP the only "oracle binaries" on the application servers are the "oracle client or oracle instantclient"

which one depends on the kernel version

which version of the client/instantclient depends on the kernel version.

therefore, if you are not going to touch the sap kernel then you can upgrade the RDBMS without any problem. But ... sometimes the kernel is not supported depending the RDBMS version and you are also forced to upgrade the SAP Kernel and also the oracle client/instantclient