cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended version of JAVA for BI 4.1 SP5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Could you please let me know the recommended version of Java for BI 4.1 SP5 as the current version on our client m/c's which is Java 6 update 45 is not compatible with BI 4.1 SP5

Regards,

Diego.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Can you recommend the Java version which has minimal issues with SAP BI 4.1 SP5.

Regards,

Diego

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

You can analyze different Java version errors and choose the one you consider the proper one for you. Don't forget to switch off automatically updates.

Web Intelligence and Oracle Java Runtime Environment Known Issues in SAP BI 4.1 - Business Intellige...

Regards

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

According to SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform 4.1 SP5 PAM Below are the Version which will be supported for JAVA on Client Machine :

Internet Explorer 8,9,10,11 - Java ( Oracle JRE) 7 and 8 is supported.

Mozilla Firefox ESR 31.x.x / Chrome   - Java ( Oracle JRE) 7 and 8 is supported

Since Java 6 is deprecated as of December 31, 2013 It will fall out side the support boundary.

You can update the Java to any minor version but ensure the Major version is 7,8 only. It is recommended that only one Java (JRE) should be installed on the client machine. i.e. if you have more than one java version or update remove it and install only one supported java version.

Regards,

Mahak

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you need to clarify which java you're talking about as there are 3 possibilities here :

1. client side JRE
2. JAva used by Web App server
3. Java used by SAP services (APS/AJS/WACS)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

I'm referring to Client Side JRE as our Client machines are on Java 6 Update 45 and with this version we are unable to launch Java Report Pannel to create/modify Webi reports.

However, I would appreciate if you could also recommend on point 2 & 3.

Regards,

Diego.

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Whatever latest java 8 release there is. (6 and 7 out of oracle support)
2. depends on your java app server and what it support . generally 7 or 8
3. only one, the one the product comes with, no manual substitutions or upgrades allowed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis,

1. I would recommend to be always very careful with the latest Java releases. Sometimes you face the issues with Java and find out in SAP Notes that this particular version is just not recommended, and it's OK, uninstall, reboot, install the old again. But when issues happen with the latest version you can be the first one and need to open OSS message. So it's better first to check on the separate machine for testing and only then roll-out to consultants and users.

Regards

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Katya,

that is true. alway test first. In this case however - Java 8 + is the recommended one by SAP Webi support. Even tho its early revisions have cache bug that also affects BOE.
So, before selecting - always search SAP Knowledge base about know issues with it.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

With the latest version of Java 1.8, there are some known issues with BI 4.1 sp5. But they are not a show stoppers. Work around available if you encounter issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

The latest version of Java is Java 8 Update 51 and I shall check if there are any known issues with this version.

Also is there a possibility to keep both versions of JRE on the system Eg: Java 6 update 45 and Java 8 update 51.

So that 3.1 could be directed to use Java 6 and 4.1 for Java 8 ?

In the Java control pannel under the Java tab, I disabled 1.8.0_51 and tried to launch Java Report Pannel for creating of webi reports in 3.1; however it did not allow to proceed further and displayed that the Java application is blocked.

Is there any workaround for this ? I tried to enter the 3.1 url in the exception list under Java >> Security but it did not help.

Regards,

Diego

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

The latest version of Java is Java 8 Update 51 and I shall check if there are any known issues with this version.

Also is there a possibility to keep both versions of JRE on the system Eg: Java 6 update 45 and Java 8 update 51.

So that 3.1 could be directed to use Java 6 and 4.1 for Java 8 ?

In the Java control pannel under the Java tab, I disabled 1.8.0_51 and tried to launch Java Report Pannel for creating of webi reports in 3.1; however it did not allow to proceed further and displayed that the Java application is blocked.

Is there any workaround for this ? I tried to enter the 3.1 url in the exception list under Java >> Security but it did not help.

Regards,

Diego

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego, I am using BO 4.1 SP5 and I did the following to access WEB-I reports from BI Launchpad on a Client Machine.

1) Install the latest version of Java available at that time ( In my case, it was "Version 8 Update 45" )

2) Add the BO URL in the following format ( http://boservername:portno/ ) by navigating to "Java Control Panel -> Security Tab -> ( Exception Site List ) Edit Site List" and click Apply. ( Additionally, you can also add http://boservername:8080/BOE/ )

I don't think it is possible to have multiple JRE versions on a single client machine. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sravan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was in an impression that if I add the URL of 3.1 in the exception list, it could probably help to launch the Java Report Panel for 3.1 when creating/modifying the reports.

Regards,

Diego.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is your SP in 3.1? If it is SP6 and above, it will support Java 1.8. Otherwise, it will not work even if you add it to exception list.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Should the version of Java be a 32 bit or a 64 bit version ?

Regards,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

32-bit. But if you install both it won't harm anyway.

Regards

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On the server, you should install 64 bit version Java. Client, you can install 32 bit or 64 bit. It does not matter. Some of the 64 bit applications requires only 64 bit version of Java on client side.