cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Update Authentication Group Membership" several failed instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are seeing a lot of "Update Authentication Group Membership" instances in failed status.. (using Instance Manager). We have our AD update to be done only once a day.. What could be the reason for so many failed instances?

The location on the instance says "Administrative Tools/Update Authentication Group Membership", but we do not see the folder in CMC to access the schedule and delete it.

I think this is also causing performance issues on the entire application.

We are planning to stop the scheduled daily update and re-do the schedule, but would like some insight on why this is happening.. (SAP Note - 1965981 - Logon to BI Launchpad is intermittently slow)

Also, if there is a script that can be executed to delete these failed instances, it will be of great help.

The query builder query to get the information about the Administrative Tool folder times out. FYI.. The Administrative Tool folder is in the CI_APPOBJECTS table.

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member205064
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Guru,

there is a script attached in the SAP note to delete the failed instance:-

1568718 - How to delete all failed instances in XI3.1 programmatically

-raunak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raunak/Jawahar,

The instances for AD group updates are not in the table CI_INFOOBJECTS.

The delete of failed instances suggested uses the following query

select top 10 * from CI_INFOOBJECTS where SI_INSTANCE=1 and SI_SCHEDULE_STATUS = 3.

When executing this query I do not get the list of instances with SI_NAME "Update Authentication...."

Following is the query I use to get the Update Authentication instances

select top 10 * from CI_APPOBJECTS where SI_INSTANCE=1 and SI_SCHEDULE_STATUS=3.

When the same query was tried yesterday, I could not get the results and the query timed out after 9 minutes.. I am able to get the results back today, I will be modifying the script to use the above query and see if it will delete the records from this table.

We have seen situations were the AD update slows down the entire application, hence we had the updates scheduled after hours on a daily basis.

Version - BO 4.1 SP5 Patch 6.

Thank you for looking into the issue.

Cheers!

former_member205064
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check this one as well

2174292 - Best Practices for how often to schedule AD and LDAP graph updates in BI 4.x

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Raunak for the best practices note.

We already had our schedule set to execute only on one day. (Our user base is large, but the number of users who login to the application is very small)

So, to resolve this issue, following is what we have done. (Don't know if this is the best/recommended)

1. Stop the daily schedule of the AD groups update and also AD alias updates.

2. Cleanup all the failed instances of the AD update (using a script)

3. Start only the AD group update.

4. Change the option for AD alias update as "Create new alias only when user log on" and did not schedule the AD alias update

These changes have been working for the last 2 days.. We have not seen any failed AD update instances.

Note: When we had a lot of failed instances, the screen to update AD authentication would take about 15-20 minutes to load. Any change that had to be done was painful and time consuming.. Once we deleted all the failed instances, the screen shows up in less than a second.

Hope this will be helpful for other users and if anyone else could shed some insight to this, it would be great.

Thank you all for the help you have provided!!

Cheers!

former_member182521
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you please share the screen grab of the error which you getting and also elaborate your issue?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mani,

The issue is that the AD update schedule is creating multiple instances when the schedule was setup to run only once daily. approximately 36000 instances (an instance every 10 seconds for a span of one hour)

Attached file provides the scheduling information from one of the failed instances.

Version BI 4.1 SP5 Patch 6.

Please let me know if you need more information.

former_member185603
Active Contributor
0 Kudos