cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password did not match that for the login provided

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have researched and researched but yet found a solution regarding error message "18456, Severity:14, State:8", reason: password did not match that for the login provided.

Basically I have developed an asp.net website to host crystal reports with a login and roll membership. It is a pretty simple website that will allow management and other employees to view certain reports for the company depending on their roll.

I'm using 4.0 Framework with SAP Crystal Reports in VS 2010. My ODBC connection "both unit and system testing" is a 32 bit driver set to SQL server authentication using a login ID and password. The website is hosted on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard using IIS 7.5.

My Crystal Report's datasource is a 'ODBC (RDO)' setup with DSN default property equal true.

The website is configured on IIS 7.5 to use the 4.0 Framework and its pipeline mode to use "Classic". My site's application pool is set on "NetworkService".

The username is NOT a domain name, but a username we created on SQL Server "SQL Server 2008 R2" for accessing specific databases. We have used this username in many websites currently in production and had no issues with it.

My database log indicates "Login failed for user 'xxxxxx'. Reason: Password did not match that for the login provided.[CLIENT:999.99.9.999]. Error 18456, Severity:14, State:8.

The password is not wrong because we are using this username with the same password in other websites that work perfectly. I don't know if this is a Crystal Reports issue or a webserver issue.

Please let me know what I can do to fix this annoying problem.

Thank you in advance!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Aside from the database log, what is the actual behavior?

Ensure the following is true:

For ODBC use:

MS SQL 2005 - SQL Native

MS SQL 2008 - SQL Native 10

MS SQL 2012 - SQL Native 11

MS SQL 2013 - SQL Native 11

Make sure you're using SP 14 for CRVS

- Ludek

Senior Support Engineer AGS Product Support, Global Support Center Canada

Follow me on Twitter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for responding back to me as I'm new to this site.

I guess I needed to be more specific about my problem. My apologies!

The roll membership is working perfectly. I can login and see the reports with data in the browser, but when I make an adjustment to the date parameters and click apply to see the expense report for the month of April, it will say "Error - Database logon failed" within the Crystal Report Viewer object. My web page is still intact therefore it never redirects me to that ugly aspx error message page.

The database log indicates login failed for user 'MySqlUsername'. Password did not match for the login provided. I know the password is correct due to other programs we run using these exact same credentials and that is why I thought there might be a setting within IIS application pool not picking up the right password or a Crystal reports installation mishap on the server.

Is this explanation a little clearer now?

0 Kudos

Are you loading CR in the Page_Init and using Postback to keep the report in session?

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Don! Thanks for responding back!

No postback code in the page event if that is what you are asking?

The reason I see data in the beginning is because I populate the data in the report to test and upload the .rpt file to the test server.

I guess you can say the data is being cached.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You will need to use sessions as pretty well any action on the viewer will cause a postback. And that is where the db logon gets lost, so you get a database logon prompt. See the following KBA;

1985571 - How to use sessions in web applications using the Crystal Reports viewer (the complete cod...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will try the code to see if it works for me. However, it appears to be a class file not so much a code behind file. Thank you again and I will let you know the outcome!

0 Kudos

Yes the errors can be misleading if the report goes out of scope. You are basically sending a log on request to an object that does not exist... all due to not using postback to keep the report in session.

Lots of samples on using post back in here so search...

Don

Answers (0)