cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why adding divisions does not multiply the material master views?

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I was reading the Glyn C. Williams book on S&D module(Implementing SAP ERP S&D) & I read these info in Chap 1 (page 18 in my Indian edition book )which I state here for some clarifications as I got confused -

"Master data records are multiplied by each additional organizational element you have.Thus,10 customer master records with 2 sales organizations,2 distribution channels and 2 divisions would have a total of 80 customer master record views.Add another sales organization and you have 120 customer master record views.

Adding divisions does not multiply the material master views; however it does multiply the customer master views.  For example,add a division to our 80 customer master views and we suddenly have 120 customer master views. However,add the division to the material master views ,and we still end up with 80."

I don't understand how adding a division don't multiply the material master views since the number of sales areas increase with the number of divisions!!

Can anyone please throw some light on these?

Thanks in advance

With Best Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For example,add a division to our 80 customer master views and we suddenly have 120 customer master views.

However,add the division to the material master views ,and we still end up with 80."

I don't understand how adding a division don't multiply the material master views since the number of sales areas increase with the number of divisions!!

Adding to the comments from many others....

When extending a material master record...you can do it for the combination of Sales Org and Dist. channel only (plant/Stor loc are not relevant here) and not for the sales area (which includes division). A material can exist in only one division. Hence you will not get the option to enter division when extending the material master record.

Regarding the customer master record...you can extend the views only for a sales area. Adding division doesn't mean the views can be increased by 40 times (as per your example). It all depends on the number of sales areas created with this new division.

former_member183501
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Namrata,

I think TW Sir has cleared your doubts.

Can anyone please throw some light on these?

Note - The "Division" in "Material Master" is not an organizational unit that can be used the maintain the related fields it is the field that is used to uniquely assign a Material to Division.

In Sales org1,2 its maintained based on Sales org and distribution channel and related fields could be extended based on these two Organizational units in Sales org 1& 2.

Regards

Kamlesh

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Apart from all the above suggestions, what you can do is to create one test scenario for one customer and material which are existing in your system.  Extend the customer in XD01 or VD01 and similarly, for material, MM01.  After saving the records, update here with your findings.  Also, whenever you come across any chapters, if you have any doubt and need inputs, first try on your own in your system, check how system is working and post here still if you have any queries.

G. Lakshmipathi

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Namrata,

Glynn C is talking about customer and material master, go to the system and check both these in display mode (XD03 and MM03). For material, check Sales: Sales org 1, and 2, at what level is the data maintained? Is it maintained at division level?

My post is in similar lines to Shiva's.

Make this a points free thread, as this is a basic question

TW

Shiva_Ram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you say views, do you mean number of records with respect to sales views? If so, then check on what level of data is used to create the sales views of the material master. That may answer your question.

Regards,

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

I am not sure what Glyn meant there  .But how did he conclude that can you explain? Also I cant check my system as I am not giving the example from my system. It is the Author's observation & views - please try to understand!!

With Regards

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I believe a Material can exist in one one Division. Also Division is one of the fields on Basic View of Material Master.

With this it means that Material Can be extended to Sales Organizations and Distribution Channels but not Division. But same is not the case with Customer Master, where a Customer can exist in multiple Divisions. Thus adding the Sales Views every time a Customer is extended to a Division.

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jignesh,

Thanks you helped me to remove much of my doubts but what do you mean by "sales view"  I quote below -

Jignesh Mehta wrote:

Hello,

I believe a Material can exist in one one Division. Also Division is one of the fields on Basic View of Material Master.

.........Thus adding the Sales Views every time a Customer is extended to a Division.

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

Do you mean the Sales Org 1 & 2 view in MM01?

Jignesh Mehta wrote:

Hello,

I believe a Material can exist in one one Division...............

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

Did you meant - "I believe a Material can exist in only one Division"?

Thanks to all for replying and helping me .

With Best  Regards

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Please extend a Customer to more than one Sales Area and you can see multiple Sales views. As suggested by others, you can try this yourself in your IDES / Sandbox server.

Yes, a Material can only exist on one Division at a given point of time.

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Namrata,

(there is learning in thinking about this question) Why a material can have only one division?

If we take an example (outside SAP) a TV can be part of many groups - Electronics, White goods etc.

Learning will become "more beneficial" if you ask why has SAP designed it the way it has.

TW

former_member182378
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Shiva,

Reading this text, I too feel that "views" is not clear enough, what exactly it is and it is not mandatory that creating a new division will increase the number of records in KNVV for this customer. If you don't create this customer for the sales area with the new division then the number of records in KNVV remain the same. But as we read this and then work with SD (for years) we know what Glynn is indicating too (and the assumptions under those numbers)

added: interesting is to consider common division and its impact (or no impact) on number of records in KNVV when new division is created.

TW

Message was edited by: TW Typewriter - added in blue