Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade and apply latest SPs available in one shot

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a requirement to upgrade and apply latest support packs available in market place at one shot.Is it possible?

Like while doing a 7.31 to 7.40 upgrade We have a XML which lands us to a certain stack.But at the same time we have components available in market place which are in higher version.So how to accomplish this in one go?

Thanks,
Mofizur

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let me try answering the question in some steps for better understanding.

1. Generate a stack.xml for latest stack using MOPZ. This will includes all the latest packages which are present in latest stack.

2. SAP recommends to apply the support package stack. But as far as feasibility of adding extra packages is concerened, SUM offers you to include extra support packages in BIND_PATCH phase with some restrictions. For restrictions, you should check SUM central Note.

BR,
Gaurav

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

This is our plan...

Component       Current Version  Proposed Version
ECC             6.0 EHP 6             6.0 EHP 7
CRM             7.0 EHP 1             7.0 EHP 3
BW                  7.40 SP 4            7.40 SP 11
PI                  7.31 SP 8             7.40 SP 11
EP             7.40 SP 4                  7.40 SP 11
ADS             7.40 SP 4                  7.40 SP 11

Now as per 2039311 - Central Note - Software Update Manager 1.0 SP13 [lmt_004]

Selection of higher support packages in BIND_PATCH no longer possible for certain components

The option in phase BIND_PATCH to select higher Support Packages to those that have already been included in the stack.xml File, is no longer possible for all central components, that is, for SAP_BASIS, SAP_ABA, SAP_APPL, SAP_HR and SAP_BW. The reason is that this option may require a new kernel version, but the decision about a new kernel version has to be made before the BIND_PATCH phase
Update: As of SUM 1.0 SP13 patch level 02 and higher, it is possible again to select higher support packages for SAP_HR.

But my question is we have many components other than SAP_HR.So can those be included in BIND_PATCH phase?They should be put in download directory and we have to decide in BIND_PATH phase manually?

Thanks,

Mofizur

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Mofizur,

okay. I hope we are clear upto the point how to get to the latest stack level using the stack.xml .
So I would focus on only the additional packages.

Here you have 2 focus on 2 main points.

1. To which software component this new packages belongs to . As you already know that you ccannot inlude addtion packages manually in BIND_PATCH for all software components.

2. Are you meeting the pre-requisites of the new packages which you are trying to include in the
BIND_PATCH phase.

A small example would be that you are trying to add the addition SP for software component 'A' and its pre-requisite is SAP_BASIS 740 SPxx . But stack.xml is only bringing the SAP_BASIS support pack level which is lower than xx . So in this case if you want to add the support package for A then you would need extra SP for Basis also but this is not possible as per the SUM central Note. But in case the SP level in stack.xml is higher than the xx then you would be able to include the package.
In case the additinal SP do not have dependency on other software components then also you would be able to add the SP in BIND_PATCH. However this depends on case to case.

Also Note that this is for ABAP systems. For JAVA systems  this is not true.

BR,
Gaurav

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gourav,

Thank you so much for your nice explanation.

I have check each component then for prerequisite.I will update you about the progress.

But if "In case the additinal SP do not have dependency on other software components" then we have to just put them in the download directory and decide when SUM stops in BIND_PATH phase? or we have any other process to follow?

Thanks,

Mofizur

former_member189797
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mofizur,

yes, just keep them in download directory. So during the scan directory phase, it will extract the files in ../EPS/in . And during the BIND_PATCH , you can take the decision. You can also extract these
files in advance in ../EPS/in directory since they are not part of the stack.xml . In that case you do not need to put these files in download directory. This will save some of time which will be consumed for
scanning and extraction during the upgrade.

Technically, both are possible.

Thank you.

BR,
Gaurav

Answers (0)