Why a report would stay in "pending" status only until its execution fails?
Hello to All,
I'm back here because I'm with a frustrating understanding of reports status.
I've been trhough BO Administrator documentation since release XI till 4.1 and haven't found the answer.
The problem is, in some ocasions, when we "run now" a report, it stays with "pending" status and will never be executed.
In the end it finishes withe "failure", with a non suggestive message: "The object could not be scheduled in the specified time".
What in fact does "pending" status mean?
What are the job servers waiting for to execute the report even when there are no jobs running?
I tried to set the log of job servers to trace, but no relevant message was logged. And I totally agree with the documentation of BO4.1 SP6 that says "The programmatic information logged to these files is typically useful only to SAP BusinessObjects support staff for advanced debugging purposes.". The logs are almost non-human readable.
In the documentation I found "pending" only related to "Remote scheduling":
1. Tom schedules Report A for Remote Scheduling.
2. Report Instance A is created on the Destination site and is in the “pending” state.
3. Replication Job A runs. First it replicates changes from the Origin to Destination site (including previously completed instances). Second, it copies the instance in the pending state to the Origin site, as well as changes to be replicated from the Destination site to the Origin site.
4. At the Origin site, the scheduler picks up the instance in the pending state and sends it to the appropriate job server for processing. The instance is then processed and placed in the completed state on the Origin site.
5. Replication Job A runs again. When it replicates content from the Origin site to the Destination site, the completed instance Report A is picked up and the changes are applied to the Destination's version.
6. Once completed, the Destination's version is completed.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Below are few reasons for a schedule to remain in Pending status:
1. Its waiting for a job server to be assigned by CMS.
2. Its waiting for an Event (File, schedule custom event)
3. The NEXT RUNTIME has not yet come or is a future day/date.
4. The Max concurrent job has reached and its waiting in queue to be processed.
**5. When u create a schedule somehow, the NEXT RUN TIME of the schedule is a past date which has already passed.
(For example , when you schedule a report its' next run time shows 'Jan 1949 ' or some past date, I have seen this many times and it seems it might be the same in your scenario as well) .
Steps to try :
1. Schedule a report to Run Now and check the next run time (i.e replicate the issue and check the next run time of that schedule) and let us know .
Hope this helps !