cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Automation Framework - CBTA - Design and implementation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Interested in anyone who has designed  a successful implementation of SAP's Automation Framework based on CBTA.

The approach you have taken on what test scripts/packages should or shouldn't be automated, the way you componentised

and re-used common code...i.e. the design to streamline testing in conjunction with tools like BPCA...to allow testing of composite test scripts or individual scripts within the composite.

Results - has the automation delivered the anticipated savings expected, improved the quality of testing and allow additional coverage of tests.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

We have been using CBTA for SAP R3 and Portal automation since almost one years now.

When we started with CBTA, we focused on R3 functional modules which were supported better with CBTA compared to Portals. I can say that more than 90% R3 functionalities are supported by CBTA and we could create good automation.

Portal automation was bumpy ride for us. There were quite a lot challenges but now its far better than what it was 6 months back. We are able to automate portal applications also now.

Approach we followed is quite simple - Each T-code recorded as a CBTA script and End-To-End business process is considered as Composite test which is combination of multiple CBTA test scripts.

It follows the Business Process Testing.

You can use multiple strategies for creation Test package:-

-> Based on Functional Area (AP, AR, Asset Accounting, COPA)

-> Based on Type of Tests (Functional, Integration, Interface)

Test packages are nothing but logical grouping of test cases for Test Plans.

Overall CBTA automation is helping us with SAP R3 testing a lot in terms of ease of creation of test script, easy maintenance, better mapping with business processes.

I think when we implement BPCA we will see more benefits of it.

It will definitely result in cost saving as you can eliminate cost of HP ALM and UFT/QTP.

Hope this helps you!

Regards,

Sachin Sawant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sawant,

You provided useful information, thank you.

Ik was wondering if you managed to combine CBTA testscripts and UFT testscripts within one composite test, where you actually pass the output parameters from the UFT testscript to the CBTA testscript by exposing them.

We're facing some unclear issues when setting the parameter to 'Exposed' in the composite test.

(Error: The Node 0 of Object CIF_1_1 Does Not Exist)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have not tried yet combining CBTA scripts with UFT scripts in a single composite script as we are trying to achieve automation using CBTA only.

So sorry to say that I have not come across this issue.

Below mentioned is How to guide with integration with UFT this may help you.

You already might have gone through it.

Regards,

Sachin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

I've been using CBTA at a customer and the general feeling is that it's pretty good like Sashin mentions it works well for most R3 cases (some workarounds here and there) and it functions for portal ~ I've recorded a CATS scenario in a Enterprise Portal and it worked fine and we've also automated a CHARM run (composite test since it's combination of ABAP screen and CRM UI screens) with CBTA so CRM UI is also something that works.

I tried CRM UI recording with HP QC / HP QTP and it required a lot of development effort ~ needed to code Visual Basic constantly to get something to work.

In terms of cutting it up in pieces, we started by keeping it pretty simple, doing a single recording per transaction.

We've implemented all the relevant scenario's (not all into the tiniest detail though)~business process documentation, solution documentation assistant, business process change analyzer (test scope optimization), test management etc so we could see how it all works together and it does that well.

Some things which we thought were straight forward at first (things that seem basic) took some more effort than anticipated like just putting "tomorrow" as date:

We also met with another customer who was using it and they were pretty happy about it. Compared to HP QC / HP QTP you'll definitely save money. The only thing which CBTA isn't really meant for is testing non SAP UI's so that can get in the way as some companies want a testing tool that crosses boundaries. CBTA + Test Management might not be as extensive in terms of features as HP QC / HP QTP combined but in the end Solution Manager can tackle a lot of features since you can couple everything and leverage ITSM for defects etc you've got a lot of options there as well.

Best regards

Tom