cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP EHP7 Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, We are upgrading our ECC EHP7 to latest version, current SAP version is SAP ECC EHP5 SP 9. To goto the latest version we need to upgrade SQL server into 2012, in order to do sql upgrade we need to be in SAP ECC EHP5 SP 11. SQL upgrade depends on ECC patch, ECC upgrade depends on SQL upgrade. Now we have two approaches 1. Upgrade SAP ECC EHP7 SP5 (minimum requirement for SQL 2012) - SQL upgrade - patch SAP ECC EHP7 to latest 2. Patch ECC EHP5 SP9 to latest version or SP11 - SQL upgrade - Upgrade SAP ECC EHP7 latest version May I know which approach we can execute in shortest duration? In either approaches we have two options Option 1 (a) SAP Upgrade / patch, user test for 1 week, if no issue, proceed with (b) (b) Upgrade SQL 2012, user verify for 1 week, if no issue, proceed with (c) (c) SAP Patch / upgrade, user test Option 2 Big Bang approach - SAP Upgrade / patch, Upgrade SQL server 2012 and SAP patch / upgrade SAP followed by user test. Difference between Option 1 and Option 2, Option 1 provides user test between each steps. May I know which option is recommended by SAP / SAP Best Practice? thanks and regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Suganthi,

If SQL upgrade and SAP upgrade depend to each other; then you must fulfill the requirements step by step.

You can not upgrade your ECC system to EHP7 at the beginning, because of your SQL version is not suitable yet.

Therefore:

1-Execute support package patching from EHP5 SP9 --> to EHP5 SP11. Now you are allowed to upgrade your SQL.

*Make functional tests.

2-Upgrade your SQL server to 2012 version. Then you can start with SAP upgrade.

*Make functional tests.

3-Upgrade your SAP system from EHP5 SP11 --> to EHP7 latest SP level.

*Make functional tests.

I would go in that order (your option 2?) .

Remember that advancing safe and following guides are more important than early finishing.

Good luck!

Serhat

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Suganthi,

The best way to go about in my view would be to first patch EHP5 SP9 to EHP5 SP11 and then upgrade SQL, this will not take long and can be done on a weekend.

Then you have a week for users to test and then you can upgrade it to EHP7 latest.

Going from EHP5 to EHP7 will take time whereas SP9 to SP11 will finish quite early. your option 1 will however take a lot of downtime initially.

You can also save a lot of time by doing the initial preparations before the upgrade. Refer the SUM guide for this.

You can start SUM and run the pre processes until Execution one week before your planned downtime.

Hope this helps

AC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suganthi AN wrote:

Hi, We are upgrading our ECC EHP7 to latest version, current SAP version is SAP ECC EHP5 SP 9.

You are upgrading your EHP7. And current version EHP5.

Confused? Please clarify to get better answers.

Regards,

Serhat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, We are in SAP ECC6 EHP5 SP9, planning to upgrade to SAP ECC6 EHP7 Latest SP Please advise