cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Version vs All Versions: Documents linked to technical objects

0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I am trying to understand the difference between "Current Version" and "All Versions" of documents that are linked to the technical objects.

I have been playing with it and could not figure out why some documents are showing only in "All versions" and why some are showing in both All versions and in current version.

When I created a new DIR through the technical object, it showed up in both. When I created a new version of an existing DIR, it only showed up in the "All versions".

Also, why is current versions the default? Why isn't "All versions" default? What is the thought process behind it?

Thanks,

Sumer Tiwari.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204787
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tiwari,

Please understand from below basic information

Document Version - Document Management - SAP Library

why is current versions the default? Why isn't "All versions" default? What is the thought process behind it?

Check if document version configured for 'all version' or current version in Dc10 under defined object links.Based on these settings document version will appear in user transactions for that particular object

Reg,

Chandu.

0 Kudos

Chandu, Thanks for your reply and the link.

I understand the 'versions' but still not quite sure about the use of 'Current version' and 'All versions' on a technical object.

The reason I can't wrap my head around it is that when I am attaching an already existing DIR to an equipment (not creating it through the equipment), it only shows up in 'All Versions'; even though it is the *latest* version of that DIR. But if I create a new DIR through the equipment, it does show up in the 'Current Version' and 'All Versions', both.

What is the real meaning or I should say significance of 'Current Versions' on a technical object?.

Thanks,

Sumer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumer,

In current Version section: you can view only the latest version of the DIR/DIRs attached to object (equipment).

In all versions section: you can view all the versions of a particular DIR/DIRs which has been attached to that Object (equipment).

For Example:

01) If we link first XXX DIR to Equipment. 

In current version we will see 1 entry as below

Doc type                                        Version

XXX          <DIR number>        000     A0

02) If we link second XXX document to same Object.

In current version we will see 2 entries

Doc type                                        Version

XXX          <DIR number>        000     A0

XXX          <DIR number1>      000     A0

03) If we create a new version of the document

(Old Version)    XXX     <DIR number>        000     A0

(New Version)  XXX     <DIR number>        000     A1

and link with same Object.

In current version we will see the following 2 entries.

Doc type                                       Version

XXX         <DIR number>        000     A1

XXX         <DIR number1>      000     A0

And in All version we will see all 3 entries.

Hope this will clear your versions doubt.

/Tilak Raj

0 Kudos

Tilak, Thanks so much for the explanation. I tried it and it works exactly as you described it. This is amazing. If we come up with a new version, it doesn't have to be manually changed in each technical object where it is attached.

Answers (0)