cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

appeon .net and SQL Azure

Former Member
0 Kudos

Has anyone used appeon with SQL Azure?  V12?

According to the SQL Azure docs, it requires either ODBC, ADO, or JDBC drivers - none of which are supported with appeon .net  (JDBC is supported with appeon's java flavor).

I have used both OLEDB to connect via regular powerbuilder and saw no problems in my app (very light testing)

I was also able to test a connection in appeon using native drivers so it does work, but perhaps not officially supported ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike;

There is a documented case and a presentation by Tony Orsini from Accenture on doing just that with Appeon.

FYI:  Success Stories - Appeon - PowerBuilder Tools, Native Mobile & Web Development platform, Profess...

Tony did a presentation on this at the last TechWave just before SAP bought Sybase.

FYI:  PowerBuilder.TV - Taking PowerBuilder to the Cloud (with Microsoft Azure)

PS: I believe that the Accenture application folks used ODBC.

HTH

Regards ... Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks Chris!

Yes, I recall Tony making the presentation (at DC?).  At the time I recall thinking that they had a lot of hoops to jump through to get it to run on AZURE.  Since then, changes within Azure make it easy to run appeon (.net version of appeon) on Azure (you don't have to build an install process within azure anymore - just install appeon).   

However, I don't recall that they were using the SQL Azure platform.  That is an Azure service and is not the same as just running sql server on azure.  Early versions of SQL Azure had a lot of limitations, but the current version (12) is almost identical to regular sql server.

The SQL Azure service is officially limited in its support of drivers and the native driver is not one of them.

ODBC is not supported in appeon for sql server, just the native driver.

cheers,

mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike;

Yes, Accenture at that time were on the Azure. The SQL Azure platform was not available at that time (AFAIK). I have no idea if Accenture updated their Appeon systems on SQL Azure or not. Tony is on LinkedIn and I have spoken to him before. I'm sure if you reach out to him he can give you an update.

Regards ... Chris