cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R/3 Enterprise v mySAP ERP 2003 v ECC 5.0 v mySAP ERP 2004

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

We are finalizing a proposal to upgrade our ancient SAP 3.1H system. Fortunately there are a number of options available to us and we need to know the differences between them.

We would be very grateful if anyone has any information regarding the PRO's and CON's of each of the above options in the subject title e.g.

what are the differences between mySAP ERP 2003 and 2004?

Is there a web page or document that summarises this information? What are the advantages of ECC5?

And the big question, what is the best way we can justify to our board an upgrade to anything higher than SAP4.7??

Any links/suggestions/documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Nigel Blanchard

Business Analyst

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

Thank you very much for your help and submissions, despite our earlier blueprinting phases were based on 4.7, we have started the project by installing ECC5!

Let's hope we can continue in the same vein.

So thanks to one and all again.

Nigel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nigel,

This is a very common question that we receive at SAP and would like to address this with you directly as a response crafted on here would be quite lengthy. Please send me your contact information to jason.fox@sap.com.

Kind regards,

Jason

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nigel: The realization of NetWeaver as the architectural backbone of mySAP ERP 2004 has become a reality, above and beyond any R/3 level releases, and ECC 5.0 with its componetization approach is a good example.

Flex GL, Industry enablement, extension sets for new functionality, embedded bi analytics, as well as the addition of SEM, MSS/ESS, internet sales, and FSCM.

Business Benefits of mySAP ERP:

New efficiencies in end-to-end business processes. Powered by SAP NetWeaver, mySAP ERP expands the traditional ERP system to a truly collaborative environment, accessible to the organization as well as authorized customers, partners and suppliers. mySAP ERP effectively streamlines internal and external business process from end-to-end while providing tight integration and transparency of information.

Incremental upgrade path. Building on the concept of SAP R/3 Enterprise, mySAP ERP allows companies to upgrade in incremental step as business demands and permits companies to upgrade by simply adding new 'snap-on' solutions and business functionality as needed.

Greater control of extended enterprise assets. mySAP ERP helps companies gain greater control over extended enterprise assets, offering greater depth and breadth of functionality, including consolidation, commission management, real estate and treasury and travel management - all outside of the scope of competitor solutions.

Lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO). mySAP ERP offers improved performance plus greater resilience through the incorporation of SAP NetWeaver. The solution is also fast and easy to deploy and offers flexible upgrade options, which simplifies implementation and upgrades and reduces total cost of ownership.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Darrell,

Thank you very much for your submission.

Do you have any more information? We have already been to the service.sap.com/upgrade area and are trying to find detailed specific comparison documents/charts/explinations between the different upgrade options.

Any further recommendations or contact names etc will be gratefully received.

Once again many thanks,

Nigel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nigel, in the upgrade area I referred to is a very comprehensive document called the installation and upgrade guide, as well as the master guide. These documents detail the changes from R/3 from 4.6c through the mySAP ERP 2004 systems including transition paths.

I will forward your message on the other resources that can provide additional information.

Best regards

Kim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darrell,

We are doing upgrade to ECC 5.0, and planning to implement SAP E-Recruiting as add-on to ECC. I have trouble to understand how this new E-Recruiting component would work with the existing Recruitment part inside HR module. There are a few files talking about E-Recruiting at service.sap.com, but all are very brief and at high level. I've searched SAP Library and only found document for HR Recruitment, or SAP E-Recruiting in BW (according to SAP ERP and HR master guide, BW is not required component for E-Recruiting). I see a lot of functionality in E-Recruiting are also in HR Recruitment, and in one SAP guide, it briefly says that if E-Recruiting is installed as add-on, then it is fully integrated with HR module. How does this integration take place? Is there an SAP E-Recruiting document I can look through?

Thanks a lot,

Li

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darrell,

I look after BASIS alongside Nigel and therefore have a vested interest in this thread. In your response to Nigel's original post you state:

" Incremental upgrade path. Building on the concept of SAP R/3 Enterprise, mySAP ERP allows companies to upgrade in incremental step as business demands and permits companies to upgrade by simply adding new 'snap-on' solutions and business functionality as needed. "

If this incremental upgrade path is available within 4.7, what steps are required to upgrade from 4.7 to ECC5? I assume that incrmental upgrade does not stretch as far as a full version upgrade!!?

Kind regards,

Arwel.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Li:

Not sure if you found your information in http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/en ( do a search on e-recruiting from there ).

There are a number of documents there ranging from analysis scenarios, queries, roles, infosources, key figures, etc.

It is quite detailed.

Hope this helps

Darrell Kim Huffman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Li,

I am one of the product managers for SAP E-Recruiting. I see you asked a similar question about E-Recruiting on another post so I am copying the response in here for consistency.

Cheers, Kim

SAP E-Recruiting uses no functionality from the existing SAP recruitment module, and has a new data model. For HR releases before ERP2004, SAP E-Recruiting can only be deployed on a separate instance to HR, and integrated using a combination of ALE (qualification catalogue, employees, organizational units, jobs, and positions) and RFC calls (for moving candidate to be hired into HR).

If you have ERP2004, then you can have E-Recruiting on the same instance as HR. There are advantages and disadvantages to this including, security, sizing, etc. We can discuss this if you consider this an option.

If you have E-Recruiting on a separate instance to ERP2004, then you can also display or use organizational data using supplied data extractors. These are great for easily pulling HR data. In the standard they are only used to display information based on the job/position (example: current position holder) but they could also be used in custom workflows, job postings, etc.

With ERP2005, employee qualifications will also be available in E-Recruiting, as well as the possibility of defaulting qualifications on the requisition, based upon the job or position.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darrell,

What are the differences between SAP R/3 4.6c version and 5.0 version ? Where can I get additional information and documentation on this ?

Further how do we justify our clients to upgrade to Version 5.0 ?

Thanks & Regards,

Sumit Karanjawala

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sumit, there is an excellent presentation at:

https://websmp103.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700003064822003E

Also, you may want to try: service.sap.com\erp and service.sap.com\upgrades

Version 5.0 ( ECC 5.0 ) is based on NetWeaver technology including BW 3.5, EP 6.0, and WebAS 6.40, and includes over 80 self service, erp and portal roles as well as analytics, and importantly, sets the stage for the Enterprise Services Architecture.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darrell,

I am a member of a team working on upgrading a customer system for SAP 4.6B to SAP ECC 5.0 SR1. I needed some help from you on certain questions raised by the customer.

The customer is having Internet applications running through ITS which is installed on a dual host - AGate & WGate servers. Since ECC5.0 is having an integrated ITS component, can we port the existing applications onto the same after the upgrade. If so, what checks do we need to make.

Furthermore, the existing SAP system is installed on TRU64 UNIX cluster with Oracle 9.2 as the database. For the given OS release, the J2EE engine is not available. Hence, we are planning to go ahead with only the ABAP engine. Does the integrated ITS component need Java engine to render the HTML pages? If so, would it be possible for the ITS to use the J2EE engine running on another host?

If these applications cannot be supported by the in-built ITS, what are the other options we can look at? Would BSP would be a good alternative.

Looking forward to your valuable suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,

Kalpesh Patel

SAP Basis Consultant

Mail ID : kalpesh_patels@yahoo.com

Cell : +919850965734

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Darrell,

When i try to go to this link

https://websmp103.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700003064822003E

which u told Sumit about difference in various versions of upgrades, is asking me for an username n password....if u coyld help me with thta tht'll be great.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just to give a heads up, that link is no longer available. You may want to correct the link url or delete components of this thread