cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deploy XML landscape UI files ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Colleagues,

I worked on SAPGUI 7.40/NWBC5.0 deployment on end-users desktops and I don't know how I should deploy the related XML landscape UI files:

• Do the clients cache locally
  • Always pull from central

Could you advice which approach is the best and why and how to do the deployment? (any interesting documents would be great)

Thanks in advance,

Mohamed.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohamed,

If you have a central server infrastructure that all your clients can see, then i would argue that is your best option. This way you can centralize the maintenance of system entries as well as settings for NWBC.  However we currently have the settings stored on a network drive, and i don't automatically connect to this drive, then i can't see the systems, as they are somewhat not cached locally. So make sure your end users are auto connecting to your network drive.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jakob

Regarding your comment about local cache of the files, I observed the cache option in the SAPLogon options - I have not, but have you had any experience using it? 

I wish the option could be for both (time and restart of saplogon)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

The GUI cache unfortunately doesn't carry to NWBC. So as my central XML file is sitting on a network drive and i need to logon to VPN to access our network, then i have to logon VPN first and then logon on the the network drive even though it is mapped to see the admin defined entries. on GUI it does come with a warning that it can't reach the file, but still loads the cached values.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have done a workaround this morning that seems to work. I've set the GUI up to update the cache file and then i use the GUI cache file as my "server" file.

From NWBC settings menu:

That seems to do the trick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for sticking with this subject!

Three questions

1. The pictures you attached do not seem to be showing up on the post - any chance you could upload again?

2. Regarding the drive connection points you are making, have you considered using UNC paths (e.g. \\server\share\folder) instead of a drive letter to be mapped?

3. Bigger picture (prior to seeing your pictures), I'm having some doubts about what the functionality is based on it seeming like you are having to jump through some hoops!  The powerpoint from SAP for the PULL feature seems to imply that you point SAPLOGON to a network (or HTTP) share and it will grab the xml files either upon restart or every X hours.  That's the idea, right?  Do you know what the purpose of the un-editable property called "path for caching" is for (it defaults to "%appdata%\SAP\LogonServerConfigCache")?  I guess we could just ignore it?!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

Answers to your questions:

1. The problem is that you can't use the UNC path, i've already tried 😞

2. I actually use that local cached file from the GUI as my work around to see the server defined files. It has surprisingly enough both the NWBC and GUI entries stored. I think this is a bug in NWBC.

Repost of former with screen shots

I have done a workaround this morning that seems to work. I've set the GUI up to update the cache file and then i use the GUI cache file as my "server" file.

From NWBC settings menu:

That seems to do the trick.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a headache trying to think about the pain you have gone through!!

I was having a look at this document : and observed the picture below which certainly feels like UNC paths "should" work (famous last words!). Does this shed any light based on what you've observed?  Are you on the latest patch levels for GUI/NWBC?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

I am on the latest patch. When you try to input a \ in the server path in NWBC, then it all lights up red. So as I mentioned I this it is a bug.

Also my troubles comes because I work as a consultant and aren't always connected to our network drive via the VPN, so i can't pull the configuration from serverside every time I start it up. But this have the unfortuante implication that if I do connect directly to the server side configuration from NWBC, then I can't see my connections defined server side, as it isn't reading the cache.