Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

[SD-IDoc]Question about Partner Type LI for Intercompany Billing

Hi All,

I'm customizing configuration of IDoc for Intercompany Billing of Cross-Company-Code Sales. The purpose is that when the Intercompany Billing is saved, the Billing Output RD04 will generate an Outbound IDoc in the Issuing Company. Then an Inbound IDoc will be automatically generated in the Sales Company. Thus, the Inbound IDoc will trigger the SAP automatically post FI document for Vendor in Sales Company. That's because Issuing Company plays a role as vendor for Sales Company.

Both 2 companies are in the same client. And the test is OK. But, I have a question about Partner Type LI for Partner Profile for Inbound Processing.

As I know, if both sender and receiver of IDoc are in the same client (or we can say, both uses SAP), the Partner Type for Inbound Processing should always be LS. However, after testing and checking, I found that for this case, the Partner Type MUST be LI for Inbound Processing. Is this case an exception to the rule?

Thanks.

Michael Hwang

Former Member
replied

Michael, searching for logic in the SAP design might be an exercise in futility. If anything, inter-company process ends up with posting an FI document, so there are two different modules involved. These modules were built by different teams who apparently had different ideas (e.g. why FI correspondence doesn't work the same way as Output in SD?). Inbound/outbound deliveries are part of the same SD module, so I guess that team just chose another design. Who knows? From the ABAP standpoint there is no restriction to use either - all the relevant information should be in the IDoc anyway. But when the partner is LI, KU, etc. (not LS) it's just a bit easier because then some data is in the IDoc control record.

For the SAP standard solutions like inter-company we just read the documentation and do whatever is there. For a custom IDoc interface you'd use whichever partner type would be appropriate for the specific interface. If the interface is not with a specific customer, vendor, etc. then it'd be logical to use LS.

1 View this answer in context

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question