cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Connect from BW on IBM i to MS SQL Server data source

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are running SAP BW 7.40 today on the IBM I platform.  We recently received a request from our BW team to install and set up DB CONNECT to allow them to define a BW connection to a Microsoft SQL server database residing on another server.  Is this possible with our platform?  From a high level what additional components would we have to install/configure on the IBM I server to allow a DB Connect connection from BW to a MS SQL server database?  Thank you in advance for any input your can provide us.  Best regards, Russ Cook

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

in former versions of NW-BW-7.01 (double-stack) we were able to use UDconnect to read data from MSSQL-server into NW-BW.

we needed the ms-sql driver (sqljdbc.jar) configured in SAP-NW  JCo

or the JTDS driver (jTDS JDBC Driver )

and then in RSA1 configure UDconnect.

====================================

to read data from a NW-BW system or from a SAP-NW-ERP into MSSQL you may use

this interface/driver: THEOBALD xtract-is

http://www.theobald-software.com/    or     X-Tract-IS - antares Informations-Systeme GmbH

Christoph

volker_gldenpfennig
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Russ,

nice to hear from you 😉

Yes, it is possible, but not really easy ;-(

You do need to install the MS SQL LIB_DBSL of SAP. This one is compiled for Windows ONLY => The server, needs to be Windows, it will not work on Linux or AS/400 ;-(

But:

SAP on i does support a Windows appl server - this one can handle your request very easy 😉

We did this a few weeks ago for another customer. There we had an iSeries shop and just added a small windows appl server with 8GB RAM for the DEV & the PRD on this one windows host, as we needed it for this windows MS SQL server access only. So, nobody uses this server except the access to SQL server. You would route the traffic with a RFC connection to this boxx most likely.

Regards,

Volker Gueldenpfennig, consolut international ag