Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decimal Notation

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

I was going through a couple of items. During this process, I noticed that the default decimal notation for my user data is set to: 1.234.567,89. Is this deliberate? Can I switch this to the default decimal notation to be 1,234,567.89? The date format is similarly set;

what is the use of decimal notation? Is there any limit or range?

Can we change the Decimal notation, Will it effect the system in anyway.

Regards,

Magham.

1 REPLY 1

Former Member
0 Kudos

On creation of a new user SAP defaults decimal notation to 1.234.567,89 - I think this is due to it's German origins where they use a comma decimal (also used in rest of Europe a lot).

You can swap to 1,234,567.89 by using SU3, although if you are using CUA it depends on the settings in SCUA. If your settings do not permit the maintenance of the fields in the child systems then they need to be changed centrally by an administrator via SU01.

The same applies for the date format.

Decimal notation is used mainly for the presentation of data for users, however there are instances that I have seen programs having difficulty processing items if a users decimal format is different to the data coming in. This is mainly in custom code but have experienced it in FI before for both decimal and date formats.