cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculation Engine with SAP LUMIRA

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a full suite license for SAP BI & Lumira and tried to sell LUMIRA as the DV TOOL to our ever demanding end users.

Here are some pitfalls we faced,

Almost everyone of the users including me were totally disappointed with the way SAP has structured their calculation Engine within Lumira.

Do not understand the reasoning behind trying to build a new Engine when it could have been a subset of  the well known and most powerful WEBI Calculation Engine.

We were unable to perform some moderately complex case or if then else  logic or create flags on top of custom dimensions and use them for building a custom measure.

We understand that Lumira is being marketed as an A plus tool for story telling, But what good does it do when you have such major hiccups building a rather moderate visualization.

Has anyone run into such issues where creating custom dimensions and custom measures to full fill the end user requirements has become a pain?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Monty

The issue you are facing is quite true. In the prepare tab of Lumira you can't do such complex calculation like if and else based logic dependent calculated dimension.

But you must understand its not a tool for enterprise based reporting.. I have worked on Webi and Bex Query Designer, those are the tools for such complex queries on top of which we used to design Xcelsius dashboards and workbooks which used to consume a lot of time.

SAP lumira is self service analytics tool for doing Analysis and designing Dashboards in a much faster, easier, beautiful way. Again its not for reporting.

It gives you the liberty to bring data from different sources(both standard and custom sources like from BW queries, universes) where such complex queries already resides, do some minor manipulation on that data and let you create your own dashboards.

May be in future roadmap SAP can include this suggestion. If you want you can put your idea in SAP Lumira Idea Space.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not sure how complex your if else condition is. But I had done one calculated dimension as below.

if ({Qty:CORREC} > 0 or {Consumable} = "Y" or {No of Order (Express)} > 0 or {No of Order (Priority)} > 0 or {Planned Order (Electric Part)} = "Y") and ({Yearly

Final Forecast} <> 0 or {Market Yearly Final Forecast} <> 0 or {Age of Material (Days)} <= 365) then "Y"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your feedback guys, I have submitted this idea and lets hope we have something soon.

shankarsgs
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Monty,

Its good you pointed it out. You can raise/vote these ideas in the SAP ideas market place SAP Lumira: Home and we can expect some features being implemented in future versions.

Peace

Shankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

It would be great if Lumira provides an option to do custom calculations written as User defined function. I guess other self service dashboarding tools have this feature.

User Defined Functions/Formulas SDK : View Idea