cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Closing Process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SAP Experts,

I have been trying to research the new closing processes associated with S/4 HANA sFIN 2.0. My goal is to highlight the new process and compare to the lengthy process used in previous SAP financials. To do this, I need to be able to completely simulate a closing process in both SAP Financials and sFIN 2.0. I believe I have found the required transactions that must be completed with the traditional system, but I am struggling to figure out how exactly this would be done in the sFIN 2.0 system.

All my research keeps turning up is that sFIN is significantly faster and reduces redundancies, etc. But what I'm really trying to find is the exact sequential process I would take in sFIN to close a month / quarter / year.

If anyone could shed some light on how this would be done, or if i'm understanding the problem incorrectly, I would really appreciate the insight.

Thanks,

Paul Browning

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

Good morning,

About your question on the new closing process, there are a few points which I would like to mention which can help you:-

Change 1) The number of steps done in closing per se did not change, so if you see the document given by MJ, the steps would still be same in SAP Financials vs Sfin 2.0 / 1.0. The number of steps also depend on type of organization and its process.

However what did change was the customer ability to run the batch jobs online, ( if you see list by MJ and see the list of batch job specified), This is an improvement in Sfin 2.0 as you can run these batch directly and it is something which saves time

Change 2)-One issue in every close is reconciliation, this can be asset subledger to GL or COPA to FI etc.

These have improved in Sfin as there is now a single table / source for the information

Change 3) - Multiple tool and dashboard to better analyze the process and figures per period.

With CFO dashboard and other tools (Fiori based reports) which can enable you to check and confirm period close data quickly. This helps in ensuring the period end close happens quickly, at-least from reporting side

Change 4)-One other change can be consolidation, in SFIn you have a central journal which you can use to consolidate data from different system and this also helps in improving closing time.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rishab

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rishab,

Regarding Change 2 above:

Do you happen to know how to access this table to show the improvement that has been made? Is this a specific transaction or a table of information stored somewhere (SE16 perhaps?)

Thanks,

Paul

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, in addition one step for closing could be skipped - CC Overheads calculation, because it could be done in Real-time starting from stack 1505.

Also I advice you to read Road map for sfin

Former Member
0 Kudos

All the information above has been very helpful. As I get a better idea of the changes, It seems to be that the actual process will not change much.

That being said, I have an alternate question. Are there any specific transactions I could highlight to show any internal changes between SAP Financials and sFIN 2.0?

I am trying to figure out how I could create a video demo specifically highlighting the back end that attributes to the increased speed to the end user.

Any ideas on what areas would best highlight this would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

As mentioned in my previous reply, New Architecture depends on Hana views that are used to select costs from line item table & Hana procedures are used to handle the calculation logic in the close transactions.

Technically, following changes have been made to closing transactions to make it faster using Hana:

say for example orders closings:

1. Selection Valid Orders

2. Select Orders Data (Replace by Hana)

3. Loop each order(Replace by Hana)

4.Aggregation (Replace by Hana)

5.Calculation

6. Database Update

7. User Interface Display

By replace data extraction by Hana inmemory instead of main memory resulting reduction of processing times. You may not be able to show all these. But you can keep both the systems and show the processing times reduction by replicating same amount of data. Another point to keep in mind is with my experience, it is helpful when you have large amount of data. You may really able to see any difference with small amount of data.

Regards,

Santosh Varanasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

This is very helpful for me and definitely shedding light on one of the areas for improvement. With the above suggested scenario of orders closings, are these specific transactions or charts that can be accessed in SAP to show the difference? If so, do you know how  I can access so that I can show the change in each?

Thanks,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

There was session By SAP on Accelerate Period Close during our Early Knowledge Transfer. I dont see any online documentation in this regard on SAP Application Help.

You may get more information if you register for SAP Accounting Powered By Hana.

Regards,

Santosh Varanasi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

Further to add, SFIN has come up with "SAP Accounting Powered By Hana" which has new transactions to accelerate period close such as

CO88H

VA88H

KO8GH

CJ8GH

KKAOH

KKAKH

KKS1H

Selection and sequencing logic has been changed in these transactions to optimize using Hana and minimize time required about 10% to 50% depending on each business scenario.

Regards,

Santosh Varanasi

jayanthmaydipalle
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please find below mentioned links to get documents.

Period end closing Financial Closing

http://help.sap.com/saap/sap_bp/BBLibrary/Documentation/159_ERP607_BPD_EN_US.doc

Please share your mail id details, i will share other month/quarter/year end activities list in SAP S/4 HANA SFin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI MJ,

The first document is very helpful. A similar document showing the process in sFIN 2.0 would really answer my questions. Is there a way to send direct mail via SCN to get the additional documents?

Thanks,

Paul