cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sybase ASE Space, Automatic expansion is enabled

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have already enabled Automatic expansion option for our SAP system running on ASE ( enabled during the installation), Max growth rate was configured as 50 GB per device having 4 devices configured. Now the DB space is 85% full, should i disable automatic expansion to add database space manually? Can i include new device for the automatic database expansion?

Please advise

Thanks,

Ravi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member187136
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ravi,

Nice question, You didn't mention this scenario is for data device or the log device, let me clarify for both devices.

Data Device:

If this question is for the data device, i will advice you first check top 100 tables and its volume growth rate along with any purging that can be done on those tables, if you have the justification that the space increase is correct you may continue with the auto db expansion, provided you hace sufficient devices and space

Log Device:

Revisit the transaction(Huge) which requires more space for the log devices so that you can re-visit the transaction to minimise the log device usage, for this i may advice to have a clear idea which you needs more log space so that you can increase when it is required or may be re-tune the transactions.

Although the recommendations say you may go with the auto expansion, i like to say its completely depends on the DBA expertise as he is the father of his own baby and knows what that baby needs

Any clarifications do let me know, I am eager to reply

Regards

Kiran K Adharapuram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kiran,

Thanks for the prompt response.

The question was for Data device, i currently have sapdata_1 to 4 configured with maximum expansion of 50 GB each device. Automatic DB expansion is active in the system.

Now, Can i add a new device manually and alter the database ? Would the new device included in to automatic db expansion ?

I am an SAP Basis guy and Sybase is pretty new to me

Pl advise

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member187136
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ravi,

I am attaching you the manual link for the auto_expansion set-up, however as per my knowledge cockpit will pick the last allocated device and starts expanding. Honestly I didn't try this scenario

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-56403

I think the document explains some of your queries or if you still need i can test the scenario and let you know the same

Regards

Kiran K Adharapuram

Answers (0)