Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unicode conversion - trouble when starting the DB import

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am now performing a test unicode conversion in a Sandbox system. This is ERP 6.0 EHP 6 on oracle 12c and Solaris.

I don't have a second test system for the target DB, so I successfully did the export and then I deleted the source system, in order

to use it for the import. When uninstalling the source system, I told SWPM to not touch the DB, as I wanted to leave the binaries

and not go through the hassle of reinstalling oracle. Then I have deleted all the data files, control files, online and offline redolog files,

just as it is being done for a refresh.

Unfortunately, this is NOT enough, as SWPM tells me: SAPinst has detected an existing DB and suggests me an MCOD installation:

At that point I selected to drop the old DB and I went on. BUT several screens later, it is proposing me code page 1100 and when

I type 4103 there, it's saying, that 4103 is not possible for non-unicode systems !!!

In answer to this, I have restored the controlfiles, I have started the DB in mount mode and I have dropped the DB:

$ sqlplus / as sysdba

SQL*Plus: Release 12.1.0.2.0 Production on Tue Jul 28 12:05:11 2015

Copyright (c) 1982, 2014, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:

Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP, Advanced Analytics and Real Application Testing options

SQL> select status from v$instance;

STATUS

------------

MOUNTED

SQL> alter system enable restricted session;

System altered.

SQL> drop database;

Database dropped.

But then, it AGAIN said that SAPinst has detected an existing DB !!! I went and renamed the inventory file:

$ /oracle/oraInventory/ContentsXML

$ mv inventory.xml inventory.xml.bak

And STILL no luck !! Please kindly advise on how to inform SWPM, that the DB has already been dropped!

Because the only thing I can think of right now is to restore the old DB and drop it with SWPM !!

PLEASE I count on your support! Thanks a lot in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Symon

After dropping the database you restarted the sapinst from scratch? When you restart sapinst just start allover again instead of selecting the option "Continue with old". Delete the old sapinst_instdir from the /tmp location.

I would stop all processes at the OS level running under the ora<SID> user including listener and start the sapinst

Regards

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Reagan,

thanks for your suggestion! The listener was indeed running, I have stopped it.

Also, I would like to inform you, that I am cleaning the SWPM installation directory

and restarting sapinst after each attempt.

Even despite of all this, still no luck!

Thanks for your further suggestions!

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Here is also the screenshot with the error:

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, I have RESTORED THE ORIGINAL DATABASE !!! And then I have dropped it with SWPM !!!!!!

This worked, but I REFUSE to mark it as solved, as this is NOT the solution that I've been hoping for, but it's rather the worst case scenario...

There MUST have been some file that SWPM is modifying or deleting, when dropping the DB !!!

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Symon,

> Please kindly advise on how to inform SWPM, that the DB has already been dropped!

No idea how the new SWPM (with 12c support) determines if an Oracle database is already installed, but in the past it was determined with help of "/etc/oratab" or "/var/opt/oracle/oratab". Please check these files and delete your corresponding database from it.

Regards

Stefan

symon_braunbaer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan and thanks for replying that quickly !!

I had tried to look into oratab, but as /etc/oratab (which doesn't exist on my system) and /oracle/<SID>/12102/install/oratab - this file has 0 size.

I didn't check the file you suggested: /var/opt/oracle/oratab. It looked VERY promising at the beginning, as there was one entry commented out and another entry still valid. I have commented that one out as well, but still no luck, SWPM keeps seeing an already existing DB !! Please help me to circumvent this situation. Thanks a lot !!