Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disaster Recovery (DR) setup in SQL server 2012

alwinantony
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

How can I configure Disaster Recovery (DR) setup in SQL server 2012 ?

Kindly provide me a step by step solution. I already installed SQL server and SAP application server in Dev system.

Thanks in advance.

Alwin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

alwinantony
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Anand..

This note mainly tells about clustering which is for HA. But my requirement is to setup DR for a small system landscape.

Initially i will try the solution in DEV and then later implement in Production. I have taken the latest offline backup of DEV and build DR dev system. Now my DR system is same as DEV.

Now i want to configure my DR DB as secondary to receive all log shippings from DEV so that all the changes will reflect with some duration.

Please suggest me a procedure or guide me with SAP documentation to perform the same.

Environment: Windows 2012 server with MS SQL server 2012...

Appreciate your prompt help....

Best Regards,

Alwin

luisdarui
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The note tells about AlwaysOn which runs on WFCS framework but, it is not the usual SQL Server installed as a Failover Cluster. Please save some time to read the blog series about AlwaysOn: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/saponsqlserver/archive/tags/alwayson/

Log Shipping would be a solution for example in case you were running SQL Server 2008 R2 or early versions. With AlwaysOn you can create an Availability Group, set a listener and set your primary and secondary replicas.

The secondary replicas can be either synchronous (required for automatic failover) and the asynchronous (which is similar to the database mirroring).

You can perform automatic failover between the Synchronous replicas (SQL Server 2012-2014 allows 2 synchronous replicas to failover automatically between then, SQL Server 2016 will increase to 3), and the asynchronous secondary replicas can only be failed over manually, as they're not always synchronized.

Each replica (node) has its own storage and doesn't share with the others.

You can use the other replicas to perform jobs like log Backups and full backup (copy only), as well run some jobs that doesn't alter data.

It requires some time to study, plan and deploy, but you can be like invincible with AlwaysOn.

But in case you want to stick with Log shipping and other methods of DR with SQL Server, you can refer to notes 965908 and 2021980.

Best Regards,

Luis Darui

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Alwin,

You can start your quest with following SAP note:-

1772688 - SQL Server AlwaysOn and SAP applications

Regards

Anand