Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CTM - Order Based Planning vs bucket oriented planning

former_member906762
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I know that CTM is an order based planning engine that is it solves order by order , but how does bucket oriented and continuous plannning fit into this .Like Heuristics is a bucket based planning that is it will take all the orders in the bucket and plan it at once . But how does CTM work with being order based and bucket oriented.

Regards,

Nick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nick,

Did you search SAP online help?

Resource: Settings for CTM - SAP Library

Best Regards,

DB49

former_member906762
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Dogboy,

I understand that CTM can do both Bucket/time continuous. But my question was when i say bucket oriented and CTM being order based planning tool does it pick all the orders in that bucket and then plan each other accordingly. Is there a link between order based and bucket planning.

Regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nick,

Is there a link between order based and bucket planning.

These two topics don't really relate to each other.  Bucket based vs Time based relate to how capacity is consumed.  You can have order based planning using EITHER bucket capacity consumption OR Time continuous capacity consumption.

does it pick all the orders in that bucket and then plan each other accordingly. I

No.  CTM always selects one demand (for instance, a demand from a sales document), solves it, then moves onto the next demand, and then the next etc etc etc.  It does this for every demand selected in the profile, until all demands have been addressed.  When I refer to 'demand', this is typically the Highest level demand; usually a FGs demand.  It will select one demand, and solve it all the way to the end of the supply chain (all BOMs and all Transportation Lanes).  Within that solve, there can be multiple levels of the BOM, and each level may involve orders which contain multiple operations, which consume capacity from multiple resources, and all of these orders are all still planned using bucket-based capacity consumption. During bucket based CTM, buckets tend to fill up gradually during the run. Depending on how you have configured CTM, the engine will keep trying different ways to solve the problem (satisfy the selected demand with supply orders of the proper date and quantity) until it reaches the first feasible solution.  You can configure CTM to solve using either time continuous capacity consumption or bucket based capacity consumption.  In the end, though, it is always solving order problems.

Best Regards,

DB49

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nick,

CTM offer both bucket oriented (SNP) and time continuous planning (PP/DS). Both are order based!

Thanks,

Regards, Marius