cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade SYBASE ASE database from 15.7 to 16.0

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am looking for high level steps to perform the upgrade. Need to make sure that I understand the upgrade process correctly.

1. Upgrade Preparation

Execute preupgrade utility from /sybase/SID/upgrade

Take backup of whole database along with /sybase/SID file system backup

2. Install ASE 16.0 to /sybase/SID

It will install all the binaries to the required directories

3. Set variables OLDSYBASE_ASE, OLDSYBASE, OLDSYBASE_OCS

4. Execute $SYBASE/$SYBASE_ASE/bin/sqlupgrade

Should the $SYBASE/$SYBASE_ASE be the ASE-16_0 ?

There are few sqlupgrade options :

1. -s <sybase_dir> – specifies the value to use for the SYBASE environment variable. [Should this be the /sybase/SID/SYBASE.csh]

2. -r <resource_file> – executes the specified resource file. [What is meant by resource file?]

3. -D <data_directory> – specifies a working directory that differs from the default $SYBASE directory. This allows users other than the sa to configure and use SAP ASE without the need to have access permission to the $SYBASE directory. If you do not use -D, SAP ASE uses $SYBASE as the default. [I believe this should be /sybase/SID/]

Please let me know if anything else to be taken care of.

Thanks,

Subhram

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Dear Subhram

If this is a SAP system on ASE , please refer to these SAP notes:

1982469 - SYB: Updating SAP ASE with saphostctrl / sapdbctrl

2162735 - SYB: Performing a major ASE upgrade (Windows)

2162715 - SYB: Performing a major ASE upgrade (UNIX/Linux)

HTH

Tilman Model-Bosch

Former Member
0 Kudos

At high level you are right (with [4] pointing definitely to the new environment ASE-16_0 & and -r resource file pointing to the sqlupgrade.adaptive_server.rs found in $SYBASE_ASE/init/sample_resource_files/... - filled with values first...).

I do, though, highly recommend to stick to the protocol as outlined in the SAP ASE Installation Guide for your platform (in particular Chapter 9:  SAP ASE Upgrades).  There are potential pitfalls you may find yourself in if you do not:

1. auditing - must be turned off, otherwise the upgrade process may have a good chance hanging upgrading sybsecurity database.

2. master/sybsystemprocs database sizes must be bumped up (should be taken care by the preupgrade).

3. Reserved Words / Missing SP source code/dbcc upgrade_object - all should be attended to.

4. DB consistency checks before and after (at least the minimal checkcatalog) should not be missed.

I found myself relying on the "upgrade" utility rather than preupgrade + sqlupgrade[res] - the choice depends how well the former run on your platform (there is a section on using each utility in the Installation Guide).

In general the process is pretty straightforward and works well. Just follow the guidelines from the Installation Guide.

Good luck!