SAP for Mill Products Discussions
Explore conversations about production optimization, resource utilization, and quality control using SAP in the mill products industry. Join in or start your own!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mill Products question

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been asked to look at Mill products as some of the stock that we use comes in large rolls or sheets and is cut down into alternate stocks for use.  From what I have been able to find it looks like the MILL_CUT function will do what we need.

I am trying to find some documentation for MILL_CUT (with screen shots) as well as talk with someone who is currently using Mill Products to find out how well it has worked for them.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Mitch Puchala

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

0 Kudos

HI Mitch,

there are actually multiple possibilities to address this process.

As a starting point, we typically manage our rolls and sheets in batches, and use batch specific unit conversion plus batch classification to describe attributes and dimensions of the specific items.

From a process perspective the question is whether you need to model cutting with a proper production order, or just to a inventory posting.

Most customers would use a production order to capture cost & capacity requirements of the winder. Also related to this, typically all scenarios where (external) optimizing is involved run with a production order. Specifically for this purpose we have introduced a number of additional prod. order types in our industry extension to ECC (IS-MP as part of DIMP).

Alternatively, you could just to a 1:N transfer posting with MILL_CUT. This transaction allows you to post 1 piece with e.g. 200 kg, into multiple rolls. Normal transfer posting with batch specific conversion would complain - as you would need to 0,2 PC to first daughter roll, 0,3 PC to next etc.

Let me know which scenario you are interested in, and whether you have already found the documentation:

SAP Mill Products - SAP Library 

Regards,

Stefan

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

0 Kudos

HI Mitch,

there are actually multiple possibilities to address this process.

As a starting point, we typically manage our rolls and sheets in batches, and use batch specific unit conversion plus batch classification to describe attributes and dimensions of the specific items.

From a process perspective the question is whether you need to model cutting with a proper production order, or just to a inventory posting.

Most customers would use a production order to capture cost & capacity requirements of the winder. Also related to this, typically all scenarios where (external) optimizing is involved run with a production order. Specifically for this purpose we have introduced a number of additional prod. order types in our industry extension to ECC (IS-MP as part of DIMP).

Alternatively, you could just to a 1:N transfer posting with MILL_CUT. This transaction allows you to post 1 piece with e.g. 200 kg, into multiple rolls. Normal transfer posting with batch specific conversion would complain - as you would need to 0,2 PC to first daughter roll, 0,3 PC to next etc.

Let me know which scenario you are interested in, and whether you have already found the documentation:

SAP Mill Products - SAP Library 

Regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

The scenario that I am interested in is using the process as an inventory posting.  Usually the materials being cut are not immediately being assigned to a production order but are being converted to a standard material for later consumption.

I have not found any further documentation so anything you can direct me to would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mitch

0 Kudos

HI Mitch,

please check / test the Transaction "MILL_CUT":

Cutting Stock Transfers - SAP Mill Products - SAP Library

Greetings,

Stefan