cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business rules and definitions throughout the landscape

0 Kudos

Hi all,

Our situation:

We have customers that want to define business rules and other definitions in one place, which should be visible to end users when viewing reports in BO.

It's a pretty straightforward thought in my opinion.

A lot of SAP packages are bundled with SAP PowerDesigner, Information Steward, Data Services and the front end BO tooling such as BI Launchpad, WebI, etc.

What is the easiest way to achieve this?

We have looked into connecting a PowerDesigner glossary to Information Steward metapedia.

But then? Then you have the information in metapedia. These definitions you can connect to all kinds of objects in IS. But this information is NOT visible in for example, the Universe description.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Information Steward is "one way", as in, it will index all the connected repositories, but I think it's not possible to "add" these descriptions to, for example, the Universe entity description fields.

Do you guys have any experience in real situations with this challenge?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

adrian_storen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hans,

I would agree with you to a point that Metapedia should be the single view of metadata, as a 'glossary of the business'.  However, I think that objects that are used in a Universe Object should have a name that exists in the glossary.  The description of an object should appear in Metadata Management.

There is an idea in the SAP portal for populating objects from Information Steward terms, however I do not believe SAP have picked it up yet.

Aligning the actual approved terms/ descriptions from Metapedia has been difficult.  We forward generate the tables from ERwin, often without the metadata and then create a universe.  Now if you use UDT and the Metadata Exchange, you can bring in the descriptions but this is not available in IDT.

I'd be interested to know how you go.

regards

Adrian