cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to Collect Object Usage in Universe?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Is there any way to see the usage of individual objects within a document? When I say the word objects, I am referring to the fields that you drag over to the results or filter windows. The objects become available for a report then after you complete the query. I want to look at these objects and find out how many documents are using which objects in a universe.

Reading previous threads, it seems it is not possible, but is it just impossible with the current audit universe or is it not possible to record object level detail from the servers? Is there any way to collect this information? Are there settings that you can update to record which objects are being used? Are there any alternative universes that allow you to query this information? Are there any alternative applications that I could use? Does it make sense to approach my database administrator and see if he has a way to observe how many times a particular column has been queried?

Any advice on how to collect this information would be really helpful.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I should probably clarify. We just moved to the 4.1 environment. I was able to get this information in the 3.1 environment, but for only one object at a time after many hours. The amount of information that we were capturing in the original audit database was tremendous though. 

We moved to 4.1 about 6 weeks ago, and now what I would like to capture is the objects being used in a particular universe with the amount of usage. It's a popular universe with many objects and I would like to know which ones are actually being used. But so far, I have not found a way to do this with the 4.1 audit universe. It seems to me like this is important information that many Business Objects admins would like to know.

former_member201488
Contributor
0 Kudos

It's certainly possible with the 3.1 activity universe, although in my experience it can be incredibly onerous:

Objects Associated with a Universe

HTH

NMG