cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use SUM on 2012 to update Netweaver 7.0 stack

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have asked this question on the SQL2012 forum and although I have had lots of helpful answers it is not resolved and it was suggested that I post on this forum.

I have been able to install the correct media for ECC6.0 sr3 using SWPM SP07 onto a SQL server 2012.

This installs Netweaver 7.0 SR3 to SP14.

The SAP notes and install guides in regard to 2012 clearly state that Netweaver needs to be at SP26, before you do anything other than set up the TMS.

In 2012 you cannot use SPAM or SAINT to add patches and must rely on SUM.

I have tried to download the stacks with the stack.xml but SUM SP12 states that the stack.xml is rejected as I believe it is looking for a MOPZ generated stack xml. It will not let me do this manually as it is an ABAP only system.

I cannot do this through MOPZ as I need to do quite a bit of manual config to attach the server, as a managed system, to our Solution Manager server first. The relevant OSS note tells me to get it to SP26 first.

Surely there must be a way to get an install up to the required SP26 on SQL2012 running on a 2012 Server

The suggestion I have been given is to install on 2008 and then upgrade to 2012, but I am afraid this is not an option for me

Any ideas please?

thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

mirra_yin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi

SPAM/SAINT is still usable in NW7.0 SR3. SUM is preferable but SPAM/SAINT is not forbidden.

You can use SPAM to apply the packages.

See also sap note 1803986(Rules to use SUM or SPAM/SAINT to apply SPs for ABAP stacks)

Best regards,

Mirra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mirra,

The problem I have is that this appears not to be the case on 2012.  Note 1676665 states that you must not use SPAM manually with SQL2012.  I did try to use SPAM however I got an error message saying that SPAM was not allowed in 2012 and that I would need to reinstall SQL SERVER 2012 to be able to continue.

thanks

Sue

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can absolutely use SPAM with SQL Server 2012. The Note is suggesting that you must use SUM in the special case of a particular support stack to be applied immediately after installation.

Why can't you try installing on SQL 2008 and then upgrading to SQL 2012, as was suggested? If you are licensed for SQL Server, then you should be able to download the SQL 2008 installation media directly from SAP.

Cheers,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately that is the particular Support stack that I need to install.  When I tried to do this in SPAM and it errored and I then had to reinstall as per note 1676665

Also we were told by SAP that we could install our software on SQL 2012 and I need to make sure that I have covered all suggestions before we have to replan everything by installing on 2008 first

thanks

Sue

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I do believe you can install on 2012 and then immediately apply the SP stack with SUM. I believe you said the basic issue is one of coming up with a working stack.xml file, right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

yes that is the case.  I have downloaded the stack from the SAP portal and generated an xml file. however when I choose the path or the file name in SUM I get an error in regard to the validity of the stack, and if I try the manual option it tells me this is not available for ABAP only stacks. The error states stack definition file rejected.  I have tried this several times.

kind regards

Sue

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you tried setting it up as a managed system in SolMan, even though you don't have all the SPs you're supposed to have yet? I think as long as you have the ST-PI or ST-A/PI components (which you can install with SAINT), you should be able to achieve this. I think the main reason SAP wants you to update the sp level first is because DBACOCKPIT doesn't read everything about SQL 2012 correctly until a certain Basis level is achieved. However, as a temporary measure, you can probably live with that. Really, all you need to have working at this point is for SolMan to correctly read the software component levels in the system so that MOpz can generate a valid stack.xml.

Cheers,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Yes I have manually configured the managed system onto SOLMAN.  I have now also tried to add the ST-PI components via SAINT, as you suggested.  As it is still only at NW7.0 SP14 it wouldn't allow me to install more than ST_PI 2005_1_700 SP5 onto the server.

Unsuprisingly I am still getting the warnings in SOLMAN that ST PI-2008 is missing.  When I use MOPZ I am also getting an error that the component SAP_AP 7.00 is missing even though it is there.

However I have downloaded the MOPZ stack again along with xml stack.  SUM is now accepting the stack file however it is failing at the Checks after phase PREP_INPUT/SELSTACKXML_ASK stage.

It is still not happy with the stack, so I am still stuck between a rock and a hard place. probably because of the errors and warnings in MOPZ

thanks

Sue

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I suspect the check is failing because MOpz is creating a stack file that doesn't match the source component levels, since it's not detecting SAP_AP.

I would reconsider the suggestion about installing on SQL 2008 instead of 2012, applying the SPs, then upgrading SQL Server in place. It's really not that difficult to do. If you are concerned about having an upgraded DBMS instead of a freshly installed one on 2012, you can do a system copy export (backup/restore style) of your SAP system after getting the SP stack applied, remove SQL Server and reinstall 2012, then do a system copy import to reinstall SAP with your SP stack in place.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt,

I think that is my only option now

kind regards

Sue