Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename User ID in Production

0 Kudos

Hi,

Appreciate if you can guide me to rename a user ID in SAP Production without effecting the his roles.

I do not want to create new user & copy the previous one.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

radhakrishnan_r
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Abdulla,

Its a restricted functionality in SAP and its not possible to rename an existing username, only way to achieve your requirement copy all the roles/profiles from existing username and delete it and recreate as per your requirement.

There is no other way to rename usernames in SAP, we can able to change fields in user master record like address, contact no#, email id, etc...

Regards,

RK

7 REPLIES 7

Bernhard_SAP
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Abdulla,

please use the search function to find possible impacts on renaming of a user-ID (...variants, jobs,application specific settings lost,etc).

In current releases the renaming function has been disabled in su01 anyway, so you need to use the copy function then. In general its better to avoid a renaming.(even after marriage/divorce - rather change only the last name but do not touch the user-ID)

b.rgds, Bernhard

radhakrishnan_r
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Abdulla,

Its a restricted functionality in SAP and its not possible to rename an existing username, only way to achieve your requirement copy all the roles/profiles from existing username and delete it and recreate as per your requirement.

There is no other way to rename usernames in SAP, we can able to change fields in user master record like address, contact no#, email id, etc...

Regards,

RK

pk_nanda
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Abdulla,

Pls note this point when we are creating any user in sap no need to create the user id by name. We have to create the user by module like    mmeu1 or hommeu1(HO- Head Office, MM- Material Management,eu1- End User1)  & in person field we can add the employee details like first name, last name etc. If we will do like this then no need to delete & new creation of any id again & again. Actually deletion & creation of user again & again is a issue at the time of license audit in sap.

Thanks

-

Prasanta

0 Kudos

Hi Prasanta

To clarify, are you saying you have "generic named" Ids that you re-allocate to your users by changing the Address data in SU01? If so, how have you passed an audit?

Deletion and creation of user is not a license issues. Licensing data would apply to the active users (not locked, user group allocated and access assigned)

Deleting a user id is discouraged due to audit log/change document integrity. You risk losing the full picture

Re-allocating a user Id is also not a good idea of similar reasons to deleting. As well as that, if you give say UserA to a person and they leave and return 6 months later do you give them back UserA? You won't be able to if you have already allocaed that User to another person. Then how do you have proper account ownership and audit trail?

I hope I misunderstood you but if not, recommend your company reconsider your approach and motivations behind it.

I do wish SAP could separate User id to user name - allow one to be a label that is changed whilst the user id (which is stored in tables for transaction data/logs) remains unchanged. This would solve a challenge of meaningful user Ids and avoiding reissuing of accounts (marriage, divorce or name change etc)

Regards

Colleen

0 Kudos

Thank you all for the quick response.

All replies are helpful and I am surprising that it is not possible to rename an existing username.

Wish you all great day.

Regards,

0 Kudos

HI Abdulla

The main reason it's not possible is User Id is stored in tables/used a primary key or foreign key. As I mentioned, we don't have UserName where you can change the value. Alias field can be modified and must be unique but user cannot specify it to logon to GUI

Regards

Colleen

franciosi_nicola
Explorer
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.