cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET v.1.1 Data Provider for Sybase Server needed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are using Symantec Netbackup and OpsCenter. The backend DB server is Sybase,but I am not familiar with Sybase, so I am not sure what type of Sybase DB server it is (it could be SQL Anywhere).
select @@version   reports  12.0.1.4127.

I want to connect to the Sybase database from VB.Net application I am developing. Visual Studio is version 2003, it is installed on a 32 bit Windows Server 2003 machine.
I just need a suitable .NET v.1.1  Data Provider to be able to connect to the Sybase database server from the VB.Net application. Subsequently the VB.Net app will be run on the latest OS too (like Windows 8.1).
The reason for using old .Net Framework and VB.Net versions is the use of old licensed Infragistics Components.

I downloaded ASE_15_5_nt386.zip and installed it. When I try connecting to the Sybase Server from the VB.Net app I get column @@pagesize not found error. I get the same error when trying to define a new ODBC Data Source.

Any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards

Sezgin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the replies.

I downloaded the SAP SQL Anywhere 12.0.1 Client and installed it(thanks to Jose Ramos for the link).

In Visual Studio 2003 I was able to connect to SQL Anywhere 12 by using a ADODB.Connection (provider = SAOLEDB). As a better alternative I imported the solution to VS 2013 and connected to SQL Anywhere 12 by using iAnywhere.Data.SQLAnywhere.SAConnection (referenced iAnywhere.Data.SQLAnywhere.v4.0.dll), project target .Net Framework setting= 4 . The VS 2013 compiled app runs fine even on Windows Server 2012  R2, with no .NET Framework v.1 or v.1.1 installed - I found that interesting, because the Infragistics .dll's compiled .Net runtime version is reported as v1.0.3705.

JasonHinsperger
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

NetBackup does indeed use SQL Anywhere, so the ASE download would not help you. 

However, you should work directly with Symantec if you need access to the database outside the NetBackup approved applications/interfaces.

--Jason

regdomaratzki
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

When dealing with Symantec, you might speed the process up a bit with the following information :

The last version of SQL Anywhere to ship to with a v1.1 .NET Data Provider was version 10, but you are using version 12.

Reg