cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use isql utility on a linux machine to access Sybase Database server running on another machine?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi , I recently installed a SAP ASE SDK on a linux machine. While installing I have selected the option "Full" . The installation was successful also. Are there any post installation steps required before I use "isql" utility. i am getting the error and unable to establish a connectivity. If anyone know the exact steps that I have to follow to establish a connectivity to a database (Sybase ASE runs on different machine)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Ruthvic, how are you?

First, it is necessary insert a entire in interface file with information about other Database ASE:

Ip address or Name Server (physical or virtual) and Port Number.

Good luck,

Reinaldo Silva

Former Member
0 Kudos

first take a remote connection by using mstsc then login linux system by using putty.

then check like this example

t_ashok_reddy_t
Explorer
0 Kudos

both are in same network use putty tool to connect system with sybase os user

then there use >isql -Uusername -Ppassword -Sservername

to login

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashok,

Thanks for the reply. I was using the correct isql commands only.It was a new SDK installation on a newly built linux server. The linux server where I have installed the SDK doesnt have Sybase ASE installed hence the environment variables have to be exported.

Anyway, I found the answer for my problem. Since it was a new installation of SDK I should have exported the environment variables like $SYBASE and isql file location to my profile.(.bash_profile).

After I did this and changed the file permissions for installed folders. I was able to establish a connection to database (running on a different server) using normal command (isql -U(login)  -S(servername) -P(password).

Regards,

Ruthvik