Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to enter "Base Unit of Measure" in Material Master

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I used the T. code MM01 to create a material with Industry Retail,Material Type as "Trading Goods" .Then I selected views like Basic data1,Basic data 2, Sales org1,Sales org 2, sales general/plant data , Accounting 1 . After that a new window came up with several tabs and each had a heading like " Basic data1" ,"Basic data2" ,"Classification" and so on.... But when I tried to enter a value in "Base unit of measure" a bell sound is coming from my pc but I cannot enter anything in that textbox nor in any other textboxes like 'Material Group'  and all the textboxes seemed to be not highlighted but still in the below status bar an error is showing in Red font saying "Please enter Base unit of Measure" . And neither I can move to any other tabs and enter values unless I enter the "Base unit of measure" . It is really very distressing . I searched the internet but couldn't find a solution or any link with similar problem!!

Further ,in books and even in other systems I have noticed that in the initial screen of MM01 ,where I have to enter the 'Industry Sector" & 'Material Type' ,there is no codes appearing like these -

FERT Finished Products

HALB  Raw Materials

DIEN   Service

In my system only "Finished Products" is showing in the pull down menu and not the code "FERT" before the words "Finished Products",whereas in books and even in other users computers I have seen the above codes appear before their description in pull down menus.

Similarly for Industry Sector,in the pull down menu some number or code is appearing before each of the option like there is a "1" before the word "Retail" .

How to make these appear also in my system?

Is there any setting inside ECC  to make these things appear ?

Please help me.

Thanks & Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Namrata,

The base unit of measure is the first field in the Material master record and is a mandatory field for creating a new material. This field denotes the unit of measure using which the material stocks are calculated within the system. Conversions will be done from base UOM if materials are ordered in other UOMs. Please maintain a unit (like KG or L{litre} or EA{each piece} depending on the way the material is managed.

For the second question, you should make changes to the GUI settings as shown below. Choose options in GUI Setting(local layout) and select 'Visualization 1 from left menu. The choose the check box highlighted below.

This should resolve both the issues.

Regards,

Tony.

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Thank you for a detailed guidelines and help to solve my 2nd problem i.e. problem of codes not appearing before 'Industry Sector" & 'Material Type'. But you couldn't solve my first problem ie problem with not being able to enter "Base unit of Measure"in Material Master.

I figured it out that the error may be due to entering the same codes for plant,dist. channel or division.

Is it true that we can create a material only one time for each combination of plant /dist.channel /division??

Thanks & Regards                                                      

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tom,

Can you please Follow me so that I can send you some messaged urgently?

BTW,I tried your suggestion & clicked on Options (the button you showed in top toolbar) but then it is not showing the left menu containing "Visual Design ,Interaction Design,Visualization1 ,Visualization2....etc etc

So I cant navigate to that option.

With Regards

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This screen will be depend upon your GUI version. I have 720 and I have a different screen than Tony.

You may have different GUI version. Can you show screen shot.

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Dibyendu Sir. Yes I also think so as my system seems to show different.

Can you plz tell me under which tab those control settings are showing in your system?

Also , how do I find my GUI version ? Please share.

Yes I am trying to post the pics unfortunately the system in installed in a laptop with no device drivers and the Engineer installed it in a Server 2003 OS!! So I'm trying to take  camera pics & post here .

Please wait.

Thanks & Regards

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Ohh I find it out its showing 710 Final Release (SAP GUI for Windows). Patch level is 7 .What does that mean?

I think I am using EHP3 version of ECC 6.0

My SAP_APPL is showing Release 603 and Level as 0000. What does that mean? Is it EHP3 or EHP 4?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if you do not have the window on the left then you probably have tab strips.

So just open the Expert tab and check the show keys in drop down list option.

But all of this doesn't seem to have much to do with the subject of this discussion.  Even without showing the keys it is possible to select entries for the drop down fields and SAP accepts them.

Please elaborate on your initial issue and show a screenshot from there.

You said something about Retail, doesn't retail use MM41 instead of MM01?

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Sir,

Give me some time I will surely post the pics but for the time being my system is upgrading. So by tomorrow I think it will be up & ok .

Thanks & Regards

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Namrata,

Hope you got your second issue resolved.

For your first issue, i.e. unit of measurement is not getting captured for same plant/dist. channel/division.

In SAP you can create multiple number of materials with the same plant/dist. channel/division code combination.

In your case first decide what is the "Base unit of Measurement" of that trading material, then search(or press F4) to view the list of base unit maintained for your organisation and select the required base unit of measurement for the material. And after this other fields also get activated for making further entries.

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You last expectation is not causes of the first error.

You can show the key within dropdown list from GUI configuration :

For your first error, there must be any message is shown by SAP. Have you tried to select any entry from F4 list ?

former_member294672
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Dibyendu for first pointing it out!! I knew there must be some settings to it. As for the Material Master error, I think its because of a silly mistake I was making. I couldnt check till now as my system has stopped working for some fatal error. Once I reinstall the ECC  software,I will test it to prove that the material master error was due to selecting the same Plant,distr. channel etc . I think one cannot create more than one material master for a single combination of Plant/Dist. Ch./ Div (I think that those are the 3 options one has to select(give input) to everytime before creating a material ).

Please kindly confirm.

Thanks & Regards

former_member183424
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry. I didn't understand your concern.

former_member184701
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you should request your basis or sap security guys