cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to complete install ECC 6 SR3 on to SQL2012

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have been able to install the correct media for ECC6.0 sr3 using SWPM SP07 onto a SQL server 2012.

This installs Netweaver 7.0 SR3 to SP14.

The SAP notes and install guides in regard to 2012 clearly state that Netweaver needs to be at SP26, before you do anything other than set up the TMS.

In 2012 you cannot use SPAM or SAINT to add patches and must rely on SUM.

I have tried to download the stacks with the stack.xml but SUM SP12 states that the stack.xml is rejected as I believe it is looking for a MOPZ generated stack xml. It will not let me do this manually as it is an ABAP only system.

I cannot do this through MOPZ as I need to do quite a bit of manual config to attach the server, as a managed system, to our Solution Manager server first. However the OSS note tells me to get it to SP26 first.

Surely there must be a way to get an install up to the required SP26 on SQL2012 running on a 2012 Server 

Any ideas please?

thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

luisdarui
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sue,

Eduardo gave you the correct answer regarding SQL Server options.

You can either:

-> Install it on a 2008 R2, apply the Stack with SUM and then upgrade to SQL Server 2012 (with prerequisites);

-> Install on SQL 2012 and after the installation is completed (immediately) you have to configure the TMS and use SUM to apply the required SP stack defined in note 1651862. This is documented in note 1676665.

About SUM or SPAM/SAINT, the experts in the following space might have better assistance to you:

I hope it helps you.

Best Regards,

Luis Darui

SAP Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Luis,

I am not in a position to choose the first option suggested by Eduardo.

My question remains that I am unable to use the second option - SUM to apply the required SP stack after configuring the TMS, as any stack I generate is invalid as it wasn't created through MOPZ and the manual option does not work on ABAP only stacks.

I have read and followed the notes 1651862 and 1676665 which also point out this is not valid for ABAP only stacks.  So how do we get to SP26 for the Netweaver?

We were told by SAP that we could implement ECC6.0 on 2012 but I am beginning to think this is not possible

kind regards

Sue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Luis,

thanks for the link to Software Logistics, I shall ask my question there

kind regards

Sue

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sue,

Can you follow below steps and see if it helps..

1) Get the ABAP component list from SVERS.

2) Dwnload them from marketplace individually.

3) Place them in your application server/location

4) Run SUM and provide the path as manually prepared directory.

5) Continue the upgrade

Thaks,

Mofizur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mofizur,

I have tried your suggestion already.  When I ran SUM to do this I get a message saying you cannot do this manually with an ABAP only stack,

thanks

Sue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sue,

SUM - 'manually prepared directory' option doesn't work for ABAP stacks. Therefore you should provide a valid stack file path for SUM to proceed further.

Here's a note for the same:

1641062 - Single component update and patch scenarios in SUM

regards,

pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

I have also tried this.  I gave it a valid path to the stack and got the same error as the one at the bottom of the OSS note you provide

Updating / patching single components for ABAP only systems is not supported

regards

Sue

Mofizur
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sue,

Pavan and you are right!I believe there is no other option other than MOPZ XML.

As per 1676665 - Setting up Microsoft SQL Server 2012

ABAP, ABAP+Java: Immediately after the installation, configure the transport management system (TMS) and then use the Software Update Manager (SUM) to apply the required SAP Support Package Stack (SPS) defined in SAP note 1651862 for your SAP product.

In general, the ABAP SP level of the installation export is not sufficient for running on SQL Server 2012. Therefore - although eventually requested in the post-installation section of the installation guide - all operations on the SAP application server (other than configuring the TMS) must be postponed until the required SPS defined in SAP note 1651862 has been applied by using SUM.

Thanks,

Mofizur

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sue.

I think without Solution Manager you may not get the over all ECC stack. better you can do the solution manager configurations and follow the advice by Eduardo.

Regards

SS

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sue,

Install your ECC 6 SR3 on SQL Server 2008 (R2), update your SP Stack and then move to SQL Server 2012.

Best regards,
Eduardo Rezende
SAP Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for your advice.  I'm not in a position to do this on a 2008 server first as I have only been supplied with 2012 servers to work on.   Have you any other ideas

thanks

Sue

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Sue,

The, you must use SUM to apply the required SP Stack.

Regards,
Eduardo