cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schema change after system copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

i have some questions regarding a system copy without the sapinst setup.

I do some tests with a systemcopy (restore on different Server from Backup) where i can switch the DB part

with a script and do not use the sapinst on the DB server.

I found the Note 1294762 - SCHEMA4SAP.VBS

Has anyone more expiriences with this and can give some information?

Do that script everything what is done by the sapinst setup on DB side?

How can i check if everything is correct changed in each table after a systemcopy with that script?

Exist a Systemcheck script or something like this?

Information about that topic are very welcome.....

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i found the Note

950619 - Installation of SAP Systems with Unattended Mode

Maybe if all of you advise SWPM i will try to unattend the SWPM......

If anyone know about existing scripts i am very interessted?

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SWPM is already a mostly automated tool. All you have to do is provide some parameters at the beginning and then let it rip. So, it is doing most of what your script would do.

There are other manual activities to do after SWPM has finished, of course, as detailed in the system copy guide. Mostly these aren't part of SWPM because they are too specific to your environment, but obviously within your environment they will be mostly the same each time. Also, most of these tasks are done within the system, via SAPGUI, so for automation you might be looking at a combination of a GUI script plus an ABAP program, something like that. That is something you'll probably have to develop in-house, though, precisely because it is so customer-specific.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i know the standard system copy task with sapinst well. But we have the scenario that we do often nearly the same homogenous system copy and each time the same todos.

Thats why i search for an automated or partly automated procedure where i can do

a Restore of the DB to the Destination server and after that run a script for DB and maybe a SAPGui Script for the Post installation task in the abap system, beside my other tasks.

All that without expensive tools like SAP LVM.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

As of now there no such scripts are avaiable which can eleminate the use of SWPM /SAPINST. better you can search any other third party tool or use the SAP LVM.

Regards

SS

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas

I do some tests with a systemcopy (restore on different Server from Backup) where i can switch the DB part

with a script and do not use the sapinst on the DB server.

I found the Note 1294762 - SCHEMA4SAP.VBS

After restored the DB in different server, you have to start the SWPM, without SWPM you can't switch the DB.

Kindly follow the steps to perform the SAP on MS Sql DB

Source system tasks

1. Export the Source system.

2. Take the full DB backup on Source system

Target system tasks

1. Restore the DB in target system

2. Start the SWPM system copy using Backup /Restore method.

3. Post installation tasks

Refer the system copy guide from SMP - https://service.sap.com/guidefinder

Regards

SS

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

What is the reason for not wanting to use SWPM/sapinst? If you don't use this tool, there will be many more manual steps required than changing the schema; it's quite a bit more involved than that. The tool really works quite well.

Cheers,

Matt

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

The 'script move' from note 1294762 is part of the system copy and some manual steps are required afterwards.

Using SWPM all the steps are performed automatically. I strongly advice you to use SWPM to perform this system copy.

Best regards,

Eduardo Rezende

SAP Support

former_member182505
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas

You can choose any method: backup/restore, deatach/attach or export/import.

Check note 151603 for further information.

Thanks

Sadiq

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sadiq,

do you know if a method exist to verify the result?

Report or something like this.

Or what would you suggest to be a good verifier that the systemcopy is well?

former_member182505
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas

Yes there is a method for report,

i would suggest to go with the backup/restore or attach/detach using sapinst and its also very easy .

I did many time with fails

Thanks

Sadiq