cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agentry Production Deployment Delta Sync?

stephen_kringas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

When publishing a modification to an existing Production Agentry application to SMP SP07 e.g

v3.0.2 (Existing version)

v3.0.3 (Newly published modification)

Users who have v3.0.2, when they perform the next sync, it pulls down the entire application definition (v3.0.3) and not just the delta changes. This takes approx. 10 mins even though less than 1% of the files would have been updated between the versions.

However when using development deployments, when updates published and you perform a subsequent sync, only the delta application definitions are downloaded which is much quicker.

Is it possible to replicate this behavior with Production deployments?

Cheers,

Stephen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Marçal_Oliveras
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi SK,

Is it possible that you somehow recreated the project in Eclipse before generating the new version?

In my case I use a central Master development Eclipse environment and then each developer has it's own.

Sometimes I commit directly from my user Eclipse to the Agentry Share and then instead of updating the Master Development I just delete the project and import from the Share again. Doing this the creation/modification date of the Agentry objects in the project is set to the import date/time and it may cause your behavior. Are you doing something similar?

stephen_kringas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marcal,

That sounds similar to what we do. We've had to many issues with Agentry Update/Compare where eclipse hangs especially if you're a few versions off the latest version.

I find it easier just to "revert" to the latest which essentially recreates the SAPWM project.

I'll try scenarios around this and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers,

Stephen

stephen_kringas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Marcal,

That was the issue. We ended up creating a "Master" eclipse workspace which was responsible for checking into the Agentry Teamshare and creating the Production packages.

After doing this when deploying new versions to Production the users would only sync the delta changes compared to the previous version.

Cheers,

Stephen

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

stephen_kringas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Mark, Bill and Marcal.

I'll perform so additional tests based on everyone's input. It's great to know that it should be doing delta syncs though.

Regards,

Stephen

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stephen,

I was assigned your SAP incident due to my development team needs a senior person to assist.

Please see my comment in the correspondence of the incident for the actions and 2 theories. 1 theory is the one above that I specified. Look at the other one I defined in the incident + the one asked by the development team.

Best Regards,

Mark Pe
SAP Platinum Support Engineer

mark_pe
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Stephen,

Issues like this are seen when:

1) You already have a working production server. A consultant was tasked to develop on top of that production server.  The consultant may have to import data from the production server into Eclipse Agentry editor. The newly imported definition from the production server will be developed (changes - delta) but during publishing a new modification/minor all the definition will have a new lastUpdate time stamp. Using this new data in the server will make all the clients download the definition from scratch.

This is what was seen before in test.

In essence with respect to time (T0 to Tn):

T0 -----------------------------------------------------------------> Tn

Old Editor --> Publish definition --> Agentry Production (Works)

But

Production Server --> Import the definition to Eclipse --> Develop --> Publish new prod definition -> Production (May have issues)

2) If your changes even if it is minor somewhat touch the screensets.  For example, you somewhat touch a particular complex table. This complex table is used in multiple screens and rules. Then this means that all those screenset, screens, validation rules, update rules and others that uses those screens will be touched.  I have seen this happen. Normally you do not want to touch complex tables - did you somewhat modify a complex table that is used everywhere?

Another thing you may consider:

1) We have developed more fixes (Reference: AG-27803 - tried getting fixes from older release to be merged to SMP 3.0) to the Editor publishing with respect to TimeStamp or lastUpdate. Last known fixes and merges and test where done in at least SMP 3.0 SP05.  Make sure you are at least in that level. The testing was move to that version from our notes it stated either fix or not fix (a fix SP05 was given but the totality was not confirmed by customer). But the technique I specified above is one thing that I know that may have issues as the system on import may have to reset the time (related to AG-27803). You may state your version of the editor so I may know if AG-27803 exist past version SP05 if you have the same story as I have given in item 1 above.

2) For item 2 like a complextable modification used everywhere, this may be a tough one because if you study the definition against that complex table and it is used everywhere the time may change. Did you or did you not touch a complex table on your minor update?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark Pe
SAP Platinum Support Engineer

stephen_kringas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

For scenario 1) it sounds like what we may be experiencing by reverting to the Latest version in the TeamShare, editing, and publishing a new version.

Similar to what Marcal mention.

I'll see how I go pub

2) The changes are minor so the knock on impact, i.e. other objects being impacted would be limited.

Cheers,

Stephen

i834235
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Stephen,

Did you try publishing application as minor or modification version  instead of Major version ?

check out this link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_smp309sdk/helpdata/en/7c/1a300370061014b70aff251250df86/content.htm

Thanks

Manju.

stephen_kringas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manju,

It was a modification version.

I'm wondering if this the expected behavior i.e. do a full application sync even if the upgrade to Agentry app is only minor or modification.

SK

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

SK,

This is not the expected behavior.  It is expected that even with production Agentry definitions when syncing a new version that only the changes are brought down.  What version of the Editor are you using?  I know there have been issues in the past with date handing on the definitions which have caused the behavior you describe.  Since I am mainly in development mode I haven't paid much attention to it lately.

--Bill

stephen_kringas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

We're using Agentry Plugin v70.8.0.10

Cheers,

Stephen