cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPM Error "Object reference set to an instance of object" when saving data

0 Kudos

Hello experts

I am having an error whose behavior is not consistent. I get a pop-up stating "Object reference set to an instance of object" when trying to save data. Now the problem is that error is not appearing every time but at random. I have checked on different machines for different users and the behavior is random.

Could you please help?

Regards

Nish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

gajendra_moond
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Nishu.

Kindly let me know if your report usage is like this.

Your EPM input form is used online when connected to the system. The input form is saved, say locally on the machine. Now, the user makes some changes offline and saves the file back. User connects to the system and try to submit data and the error pops-up.

If the user stays online, changes data and submit, the save is successful. Is this the behavior?

0 Kudos

Thanks everyone for your response.

Hi Gajendra

I did not know the behavior till I followed the steps suggested by you. Yes, that is how it is happening. Looks like you have been bugged by the same error .

Do you know what is the reason?

gajendra_moond
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok.

Here is my understanding.

You have macro in your input form to save data which is like this:

Sheets(Your Sheet).Unprotect Password:="your password"

EPM API to save data

Sheets(Your Sheet).Protect Password:="your password"

It will work when online. However, once you take file offline and connect to system to submit changes made offline, you will get that error.

Even though you have unprotect and protect in your macro, you should supply the same password under sheet options --> Protection tab.

Once EPM has the password, it will unlock the sheet and save the data. For some reason, it reads password from sheet options even though you are supplying from the macro when connecting an offline form.

0 Kudos

Thanks Gajendra.

I am not getting error based on the same steps that were reproducing it earlier. Thanks a ton.

Even though the macro unprotects sheets before saving data for offline file, it still needed the password from EPM protection to save data successfully.

Thanks a ton.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member544285
Participant
0 Kudos

Do you have a custom macro developed? The error sounds like macro error to me

BR

Ankur_Jain
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Nishu,

I had also faced the same error sometimes. I could not find a solution for the same.

The only thing was to close the excel and open it again and most of the times it worked.

Would be great if someone can suggest a solution here.

Regards,

Ankur

gajendra_moond
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nishu

Please provide following details:

- BPC version?

- Is it an Excel EPM Add-in report or web report?

- If Excel based, your excel version.

- Machine details

Kindly take some time to put these details when posting a question.

0 Kudos

Thank you Gajendra for your prompt response. I apologize for a rushed post.

We have BPC 10.0 NW. It is a report based on EPM Excel Addin. MS Excel is standard across the organization - 2010 (32bit) and all windows 7 machines.