cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying Physical Names in the Physical Model

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if this is general or an anomaly because I converted these models from ERwin.  I'm having trouble gettting the physical column names (i.e. the CODEs) to show in the pdm diagrams. The defaulted Display Option is the "Display Name" The best I can find in the Help is a mention that the 'Display Name' will be the Name or Code depending on the "Display Name/Code model option"  in a general section on selecting an object from a selection tree. 

I don't see any such parameter in Model Options.  So I fiddled around with the Display Options, adding CODE to the options for Columns and removing Display Name to get them to show up.  But to my mind I shouldn't have to do that.

Am I missing something in the LDM to PDM generation process?  Or what?

Regards,

Jane

P.S.  PD 16.5 SP4

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

GeorgeMcGeachie
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jane

The preferences setting suggested by Chris has a side-effect I'm not keen on - the Code is displayed everywhere instead of the name, including the browser, and it also includes the model itself and any packages.

If you're OK with showing Names most of the time, and want to show Codes on diagrams, you can do this via Display Preferences.  Here's a table symbol showing the code and name for table and columns (it also contains a Cube symbol, but that's a different story).

The Code is not available for display by default, so you'll have to use the Advanced features to make it available. Open Display Preferences, select 'Table' on the left; you'll that you can choose 'Name' or 'Owner and Name', but not 'Code' - click the Advanced button.

This is the dialogue that defines what you want to be able to display on table symbols. You can move things around, add and remove things, and change the way they're organised.

In this case, you merely want to make the Code visible. To do this, click on the 'Add Attribute' button, select 'Code' from the list of Attributes, and press <OK>. You will see more attributes than my clip shows :

I won't show all the steps needed to reproduce my table symbol, but here's a summary of what you need to do.

• add a Horizontal Layout to contain the Owner, Code and Name
  • suffix the owner with '.' and make it optional
  • make the Code mandatory
  • make the Name optional, and add the brackets as Prefix and Suffix
  • click on 'Columns' and add the 'Code' by clicking on the 'Select' button
    • make the Code mandatory, and make the name optional

c_baker
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Under 'Model Options' -> Naming Convention, you can select to display the Name or Code in your diagrams (this is a model-wide setting).  This allows you to properly maintain Name and Code and choose what to show in your diagrams as necessary.

Chris