cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerDesigner - editions and licenses available?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

last days, I faced this problem couple times. What is the current list of PD editions available for purchase? Does the Portal Composer license exist or it is not needed anymore?

All I found in PD (16.5 SP05) documentation is mentioning named user licenses:

• PD_EAR - PowerDesigner EnterpriseArchitect with Repository
  • PD_IAR - PowerDesigner InformationArchitect with Repository
  • PD_DMR - PowerDesigner DataModeler with Repository
  • PD_DM - PowerDesigner DataModeler
  • PD_WBPM - PowerDesigner Web BPM

Is Portal composer license (the ability to edit comments, etc.) part of one of these? I installed PD and repository in trial model and Portal Composer functionality was working. I put PowerDesigner DataArchitect Enteprise license for version 16.5 and it is working again. Can somebody please put here a CURRENT list of available editions and licensing types (Floating vs. standalone/named)? How about DataArchitect vs. DataModeler editions? I am still able to generate DataArchitect license for PD 16.5 (including CDM).

Is there a list of PD components used in license files with their description? So I can better understand directly from the license file, which functionalities are currently available for the customer? For example:

PD_SAP component is needed for: SAP Business Suite import, SAP Business Objects Universe generation and reverse engineering, etc.

PD_SHELLW componenet is needed for: ...

etc.

I would really appreciate if someone can clarify my confusion about this.

Thank you,

Ondrej Divis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

History

Product listing on SAP Partner Edge : 2013, 2014 years brochure

• SAP Sybase PowerDesigner DataArchitect/DM (user, CS)
  • SAP Sybase PowerDesigner DataArchitect/RE (user, CS)
  • SAP Sybase PowerDesigner InformationArchitect (user, CS)
  • SAP Sybase PowerDesigner EnterpriseArchitect (user, CS)
  • SAP Sybase PowerDesigner Portal Composer (user)

Note : CS Concurrent session, user = named user

***************************

SAP Product listing effective August 18, 2014

• SAP PowerDesigner, DataArchitect/DM (user)
  • SAP PowerDesigner, DataArchitect/RE (CS)
  • SAP PowerDesigner Information Architect (CS)
  • SAP PowerDesigner Enterprise Architect (CS)

Note : SAP removed named user for Information Architect, Enterprise Architect and DataArchitect with repository and removed Sybase name.

On February 2015 SAP withdraw ALL PowerAMC / PowerDesigner products/editions from the list of products that customers can acquire directly via the SAP Store.

https://store.sap.com/sap/cpa/ui/resources/store/html/Search.html?pcntry=US&sap-language=EN&catID=&s...

With PowerDesigner v16.5 SP04 SAP includes a new Web client for accessing PowerDesigner Repository PowerDesigner Web replace "PowerDesigner Portal'. "PowerDesigner Web" allows you to view the contents of your PowerDesigner repository in your web browser. You can share your models with a wide audience, including those who are not PowerDesigner users. Users with the appropriate rights can edit object descriptions directly in the Browser.

Note : PowerDesigner Portal Composer is no longer necessary since 16.5 SP04.

PowerDesigner will begin being sold with multiple language, i.e. the PowerDesigner Web can now be viewed in :

• English
  • French
  • German
  • Spanish
  • Chinese
  • RussianDiagram

Note : PowerAMC (french product of PowerDesigner) has been removed from the price book but the technology has not been discontinued. In the mean time, customers can still purchase more of the same of PowerAMC until the transition to French/English PowerDesigner is complete. SAP's direction - full internationalization of PowerDesigner, and consolidation around only one brand. I guess PowerDesigner Desktop will be available later in several languages as PowerDesigner Web in the next release.

Edge is used to separate indirect from direct channel product mixes. SAP differentiate what is sold directly and what is sold by partners.

Edge is sold as Concurrent Session

direct (not-Edge) is sold as Named User ....Standalone - TO BE CONFIRMED...

Now Three editions are availables :

Note : Previous Edition of PowerDesigner InformationArchitecture has been split for PowerDesigner BusinessAnalyst and PowerDesigner DataArchitect.

SAP PowerDesigner BusinessAnalyst

Note : New Edition

SAP PowerDesigner DataArchitecture

Note : When you compare to old DataArchitect Edition SAP added : Conceptual Data Modeling' Data Movement Modeling

When you compare to Information Architect SAP removed : Business Process Model

SAP PowerDesigner EnterpriseArchitect

Older Editions schemes

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A new package has been include since PowerDesigner/PowerAMC 16.5 SP03 : PD_SAP enables the entitlements to the SAP Platform Features. Since this is a new package, it did not exist in license files generated prior to the release of PowerDesigner and PowerAMC 16.5 SP03.

Here's what I know of packages and components. It surely there's been changes since I had made this list.

Specifies the PowerDesigner package

PD_EAR - PowerDesigner EnterpriseArchitect with Repository

PD_IAR - PowerDesigner InformationArchitect with Repository

PD_DMR - PowerDesigner DataModeler with Repository

PD_DM - PowerDesigner DataModeler

Specifies the components - The metamodel is divided into the following components

PD_CDM - Conceptual Data Model

PD_PDM - Physical Data Model

PD_OOM - Object Oriented Data Model

PD_ILM - Data Movement Model. Tthe DMM was previously named Information Liquidity Model (ILM)

PD_BPM - Business Process Model

PD_RQM - Requirements Model

PD_FRM - Free Model

PD_XSM - XML Model

PD_RMG - Repository

PD_PRJ - Project

PD_WSP - Workspace

PD_EAM - Enterprise Architecture Model

PD_LDM- Logical Data Model

PD_GLM- Glossary Model

PD_MTM - Merise Model (available in French only)

PD_IAM - Impact Analysis Model

PD_SAP - SAP Platform Features

PD_SAPW - SAP Platform Features Web

PD_SHELL- PowerDesigner

PD_SHELLW - PowerDesigner Web

PD_BPMW -Business Process Web

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you both gentlemen,

especially to you Benoit, your posts brought some answers to me. I have one more question. Is it true, that it PD_DM (without repository) won`t be sold anymore?

former_member185317
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ondrej,

That is correct that PowerDesigner DataArchitect/DM (without Repository) is no longer sold, but  PowerDesigner DataArchitect, Edge Edition (incl Repository) is still available.

Cheers,

-Matt C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ondrej,

SAP PowerDesigner licenses and license types available to customers depend on several factors, including what has been purchased in the past, and what channel the licenses are purchased through.

Today, you pay purchase SAP PowerDesigner as EnterpriseArchtiect, or as Business Process Analyst.  You may also purchase through a partner the Edge versions of these and DataArchitect Edge, which is very much like our "classic" DataArchitect product from Sybase days.

However, if you have purchased any package from Sybase or SAP in the past that is different from the current price book items, those entitlements continue to be available to you, and you can continue to create your licenses for those packages.

Anyone looking for new licenses should contact their local sales team or preferred partner, and ask about what is available to them under their current contracts.

As for Portal Composer, this license was rolled into all PowerDesigner offerings a few releases back, and is no longer required.  The product no longer even looks for the license to activate the editing of comments through the old portal.

Please let me know if you need further details.